View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
I did an 8th grade tournament this weekend and had a situation come up that has me wondering about when to call a carry. The point guard for one of the teams is dribbling the ball up the court after her team rebounds the ball in the 1st quarter. There is no pressure by the defense, she's still in her team's backcourt bringing the ball up, and I've got my 10 second count going. As she dribbles up the court her hand moves under the ball (clearly under, not just on the side) and the ball comes to a rest.

I blow the whistle and give the signal for a carry. We were briefed, and expected, to let the kids know why we were calling violations/fouls (this was a pre-season kick-off tournament) so I let her know what she had done. She gives me a look like "Whatever" and we go the other way.

Next trip up the court you guessed it, ball comes to a rest in her up-turned hand. I blow the violation again. Coach says "Tell her what she did wrong." I say "Coach, I did".

She continued this for the whole game. Interestingly it was only while dribbling the ball up the court with no defense on her. Once she made a drive to the basket or ran the offense she stopped doing it.

My question is - what would you call in this situation? Would you continue to call it for each violation? The game was a blowout for the guard's team so there wasn't pressure to call things "tight", but I also didn't want this type of behavior to continue.
She's hesitating while she thinks, ponders what to do, eh? Did you keep calling it the whole game? What did coach say?