The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

AT&T to the rescue!!!

Just a little vent...

BV game, I'm trail, opposite table. Home A1 dribbles into a trap just over the division line about 10 off the sideline. Visiting B1 and B2 doing a great job with the trap when B1 swats at the ball AND gets the ball knocking it out of A1's hands. A1, having quick hands recovers the ball very quickly....just inches out of his hands.....never hitting the floor. A1, presumably being an intelligent player, knows he can now dribble again and does so to escape the trap. He splits the defenders and about 2-3 steps later with B's fans screaming, there is a whistle from the baseline.....illegal dribble.

I look up in shock at my partner...wondering what he was thinking. He had both B1 and B2 blocking his view of the interior of the trap and couldn't possibly have seen the play. We come together to talk about it and I inform him that the defender knocked the ball out of A1's hands and that A1 got a new dribble as a result. He says that "since the ball didn't hit the floor, A1 can't dribble again". I informed him that there is no such requirement but he insists on sticking with his call...making me look like an idiot (for missing a double dribble right in front of me) and he gets the rule wrong at the same time!!! Even if I HAD missed an illegal dribble in that situation, there is no way he should have come in with that call.

This really ticked me off since he made the call from ~50ft away AND didn't know the rule either.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 05:36pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Just a little vent...

BV game, I'm trail, opposite table. Home A1 dribbles into a trap just over the division line about 10 off the sideline. Visiting B1 and B2 doing a great job with the trap when B1 swats at the ball AND gets the ball knocking it out of A1's hands. A1, having quick hands recovers the ball very quickly....just inches out of his hands.....never hitting the floor. A1, presumably being an intelligent player, knows he can now dribble again and does so to escape the trap. He splits the defenders and about 2-3 steps later with B's fans screaming, there is a whistle from the baseline.....illegal dribble.

I look up in shock at my partner...wondering what he was thinking. He had both B1 and B2 blocking his view of the interior of the trap and couldn't possibly have seen the play. We come together to talk about it and I inform him that the defender knocked the ball out of A1's hands and that A1 got a new dribble as a result. He says that "since the ball didn't hit the floor, A1 can't dribble again". I informed him that there is no such requirement but he insists on sticking with his call...making me look like an idiot (for missing a double dribble right in front of me) and he gets the rule wrong at the same time!!! Even if I HAD missed an illegal dribble in that situation, there is no way he should have come in with that call.

This really ticked me off since he made the call from ~50ft away AND didn't know the rule either.
Did you ask him who was covering his area since he obviously had yours covered? After I asked him this I would tell him I can call my own violations w/o his help.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 05:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Must have been a new partner.

Trust your partner (if he's in his own area).
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just a little vent...

Was he the R? Not that it matters in this case, just sometimes interesting to see how this impacts things..
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 05:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Was he the R? Not that it matters in this case, just sometimes interesting to see how this impacts things..
Why do you ask ?
If you were the Referee would you reverse your partners' calls ?
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Somehow I don't think Camron gets upstaged very often due to being the U. I'm pretty sure he can hold his own with any partner.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 06:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think kbilla was more curious about whether this particular partner had some overinflated sense of self-importance due to being the R on this particular game.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Why do you ask ?
If you were the Referee would you reverse your partners' calls ?
OK, you just quoted where I said "not that it matters" then you ask a question like this? NO I would not reverse/override one of my partner's calls as R, I asked b/c as we have all seen some officials DO think that if they are R they have the right and/or responsibility to do this...as I said just interesting to see how it plays into the situation...
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 07:25pm
Huck Finn

I would like to know what happened after the game, at halftime or whenever this play was discussed. Something like this would make my conversation be very direct. Hopefully, your partner apologized at the first opportunity. Otherwise I would directly address why he is calling out of his area so far. I would also discuss the rule that he blew.
Try to use the following to explain it to him: What if B1 knocked the ball twenty feet in the air, twenty feet away from the original play and A1 somehow got to the ball before it hit the ground? Or, what if B1 hit the ball, the ball comes loose, B1 touches it again and then A1 secures it before the ball touches the ground?

The dribble ends when the ball touches or is touched by an opponent and cases the dribbler to lose control.
A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of: art 2...a touch by an opponent.

Hit him with that right quick.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I look up in shock at my partner...wondering what he was thinking. He had both B1 and B2 blocking his view of the interior of the trap and couldn't possibly have seen the play. We come together to talk about it and I inform him that the defender knocked the ball out of A1's hands and that A1 got a new dribble as a result. He says that "since the ball didn't hit the floor, A1 can't dribble again". I informed him that there is no such requirement but he insists on sticking with his call...
Cute.

At this point it would be really hard for me to not tell him that I got this one, just trust me pard then blow the whistle declare an inadvertent whistle and give the ball back to A.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

At this point it would be really hard for me to not tell him that I got this one, just trust me pard then blow the whistle declare an inadvertent whistle and give the ball back to A.
I agree. I would have reversed his call. I may have even done so without talking with him. Sometimes this is the only way that someone like that will learn.

Just stand out there at midcourt, blow the whistle a couple of times and wave your hands, then loudly announce that the defender knocked the ball loose and that it is still white's ball. Then administer the throw-in right there.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I think kbilla was more curious about whether this particular partner had some overinflated sense of self-importance due to being the R on this particular game.
Thanks Snaqs...

And as much as we all joke about what we would do, your partner really blew it in this case and his refusal to back down only made things worse. You handled it as best you could by letting the play go as called rather than getting into an argument with him at midcourt...that said, as others have said there would be some fireworks at halftime!
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I would like to know what happened after the game, at halftime or whenever this play was discussed. Something like this would make my conversation be very direct.
Since I had already said pretty much everything that could be said on the court, I didn't see any point in bringing it up again. He heard my statement of what happened and the rule. I had no need to "prove I was right" or get him to admit he was wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Hopefully, your partner apologized at the first opportunity. Otherwise I would directly address why he is calling out of his area so far. I would also discuss the rule that he blew.
No apology nor any concession of error. Didn't see that pushing for it would improve anything. Sometimes, it is better to just drop it and vent elsewhere so others can perhaps learn from it.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Tough one Cam...

My first reaction was why in the heck was he, as lead, watching the trap at the division line....and who was watching the other seven players? Yeah, it happens occasionally at lower levels with newer officials, but it's definitely not something I'd expect to see at a BV game.

You were 100% right and your partner blew it big time IMHO. He must have either missed the rules meeting...or slept through it. I know the commissioner covered it, as it was one of this year's rules revisions(4-15-4d, 9-5-2). The ball doesn't even have to be intentionally batted by the oponent - only requirement is that control was lost by ball contacting the opponent......and there's nothing in there about it hitting the floor either.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming the coach didn't know the rule as well.