The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Huge Gym, Spot inbound play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40403-huge-gym-spot-inbound-play.html)

johnyd Sat Dec 15, 2007 08:38pm

Huge Gym, Spot inbound play

Highschool JV girls, spot inbound play on end line. Biggest H.S. gym I was ever in. Defender very close to the line but not violating. Inbounder backs off end line 5 steps. I have to back up as to not interrupt throw in. I deliver the ball and start the count.

The girls takes 3 giant strides straight forward toward the end line and throws the ball 2 hand over head while sliding the back leg just like a soccer inbound throw. Is 3 steps directly forward, toward end line a violation?

I made no call. Help please. What's the rule?

Scooby Sat Dec 15, 2007 08:44pm

legal.

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 15, 2007 08:44pm

No restrictions--->no violation. See RULING in case book play 7.6.3.

Stat-Man Sat Dec 15, 2007 08:44pm

I believe the throw in area for a spot throw-in is a box 3 feet wide and as deep as there is space (minimum of 3' per NFHS).

Had a couple of CYO offials who missed this today. We're visiting and home team has small gym with less than 3 feet OOB on all sides. In one game, a player was called for stepping over the OOB line even though he had less than 3' OOB. :( In another game, a referee called a player for a throw in violation for taking one step to the side. :mad: I will give him credit for not signalling a travel though. :D

Coltdoggs Sat Dec 15, 2007 08:45pm

3' wide by infinitely deep...or somwhere close to that...

grunewar Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
3' wide by infinitely deep...or somwhere close to that...

Close to infinite? Now THAT is a big gym! ;)

JugglingReferee Sun Dec 16, 2007 01:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar

Yup; it's kinda like some football goal lines. The designated spot throw-in is 3' wide, wrapping around the earth. :D

mbyron Sun Dec 16, 2007 08:47am

I had a throw-in spot violation yesterday. Girl starts to run the baseline, I whistle it, and she says, "you didn't say 'Spot'!" I said, "it's still a violation."

What I wanted to say was, "if I didn't say 'don't push her,' would that not be a foul?" But as in nearly all cases on the court, the irony was best kept to myself.

According to my partner, I did say "spot," though I don't recall (senator).

Weird thing was, I think she was the only person all day to run the baseline.

mick Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Yup; it's kinda like some football goal lines. The designated spot throw-in is 3' wide, wrapping around the earth. :D

Two problems with that:
  1. Must remain on the floor.
  2. Eventually (after a year and prolly more) the throw-in will be at the other endline.

Coltdoggs Sun Dec 16, 2007 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar

Hey, if you dig a hole deep enough, you'll end up on the other side of the world right...So essentially, they could end up on the other end of the court, right! :p

Mark Padgett Sun Dec 16, 2007 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
The designated spot throw-in is 3' wide, wrapping around the earth. :D

Sorry, the spot can't cross the international date line, because then the game would be over, or not have yet started. :p

CoachP Sun Dec 16, 2007 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Sorry, the spot can't cross the international date line, because then the game would be over, or not have yet started. :p

....so A1 must release the ball for the throw-in within 24 hours and 5 seconds?

Mark Padgett Sun Dec 16, 2007 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP
....so A1 must release the ball for the throw-in within 24 hours and 5 seconds?

Unless you're on Daylight Savings Time. ;)

JoeTheRef Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
I had a throw-in spot violation yesterday. Girl starts to run the baseline, I whistle it, and she says, "you didn't say 'Spot'!" I said, "it's still a violation."

What I wanted to say was, "if I didn't say 'don't push her,' would that not be a foul?" But as in nearly all cases on the court, the irony was best kept to myself.

According to my partner, I did say "spot," though I don't recall (senator).

Weird thing was, I think she was the only person all day to run the baseline.

Just curious, if you didn't give her a visual and/or verbal signal that it was a spot throw-in, you still give her the violation? I'm assuming this is a FED rules game. I am also assuming that you didn't know if you did or didn't at the time of the violation, but was told by your partner after the fact.

I ask because if I didn't give a verbal or a visual signal (I usually give both) and the girl starts to run, I'm blowing the whistle and calling her back and readministering. We are required to give a verbal and visual signal for spot throw-ins when the clock is stopped (which I think is all the time for a spot throw-in). Again FED mechanics.

PYRef Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Just curious, if you didn't give her a visual and/or verbal signal that it was a spot throw-in, you still give her the violation? I'm assuming this is a FED rules game. I am also assuming that you didn't know if you did or didn't at the time of the violation, but was told by your partner after the fact.

I ask because if I didn't give a verbal or a visual signal (I usually give both) and the girl starts to run, I'm blowing the whistle and calling her back and readministering. We are required to give a verbal and visual signal for spot throw-ins when the clock is stopped (which I think is all the time for a spot throw-in). Again FED mechanics.

This hasn't been specifically addressed by our board that I know of but I usually always just point to a spot before I give the ball to the player. That being said, even if I don't, and she takes off running the baseline, I'm probably calling the violation. The players should know it's a spot throw-in. The only time I usually say something to a player is in a sitch like after a TO after a made basket. When I administer the throw-in, I remind them they can run the baseline.