The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Several Games In

I've got about 20 games under my belt at this point. A couple random thoughts:

Almost called a T today in an 8th grade game. Visitors up 10 at half time, fell apart versus press, down 15 with 30 seconds left. We are lining up for two home FTs, I'm administering. Visitor player in the lowest spot opposite me says "what can you do when the officials don't like you?" I considered a T but let him off with a little scolding.

Almost called one other. In the 9th grade game, home up 7 with 38 ticks left, home player landed with the ball on my line near midcourt, catching an inbound pass I adminstered from low on the sideline (I was L). I couldn't see anything between his shoe and the line, so I called OOB. Home coach didn't like it, in my face a little as I came up the line to the spot for the throw-in. He told me I was guessing, I told him his man was out. Probably would've T'd him if I was 100% sure of my call. Another coach on his bench who is a friend of mine told me after the game that I missed it (I asked him), but that I sold it well. (His dad is a senior official in our chapter so he knows a bit about the stripes side of things.)

I did call one (my first) in a 6th grade boys travel league game. This one might make me a little OOO (over-officious official, right?) Down 12 with less than a minute left, kid reaches across the line and slaps the ball still in the inbounders hand. I just whistled then called it at the table, because I didn't want to embarrass him. I explained it to him and I think it was an okay T. I mean, I have to blow the whistle, and once I do, I don't feel right just warning him there. The vet official I worked with was okay with it.

I had my first JV boys last Saturday. That was fun. An acceptable amount of coach chirping, the fans getting into it, and two teams that tried to get away with things (grabs off the ball, little pushes, stuff like that). I found out today that I was evaluated by a senior official at that game and I got excellent marks across the board with one exception (I was a little fast reporting fouls, and I should slow down).

I had my first 7th grade game (or JH C) this week as well. It was girls, which is good, because we do 7th grade games with just one official. The pay was nice and it wasn't to hard to keep up. I never had any instruction on where to go in one-man, but I basically treated it like I was the C, but I slid down under the hoop when the play allowed it.

I only have four games in the next two weeks. I'm sure I will miss working so much, but my schedule picks back up after January 1.

Funny things:

Today a kid was yapping a little to my partner and my p said "you want to stay in this game?" I guess the kid reversed the question in his head because he said "no" but quickly corrected himself. I started laughing and so did he and the situation was diffused.

I had a JV girl holding for the last shot near midcourt, about 15 seconds left. She puts the ball on her right hip, picks up her left foot and wipes the sole clean. She switches the ball to the other side (you can see where this is going, right? ), picks up her right foot, wipes it, and when the shoe hits the floor *tweet*. Her jaw dropped and the coach buried his head.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 10:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Visitor player in the lowest spot opposite me says "what can you do when the officials don't like you?"
My reply - "You can go home with the rest of the babies and cry about it."
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 03:08pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
I did call one (my first) in a 6th grade boys travel league game. This one might make me a little OOO (over-officious official, right?) Down 12 with less than a minute left, kid reaches across the line and slaps the ball still in the inbounders hand. I just whistled then called it at the table, because I didn't want to embarrass him. I explained it to him and I think it was an okay T. I mean, I have to blow the whistle, and once I do, I don't feel right just warning him there. The vet official I worked with was okay with it.
FWIW, I woulda blown the whistle, explained and *reset*.