The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

"I can't play for this coach"

I was sitting in the stands watching the game preceding mine last night. At halftime, as the visiting team walked right past me on their way to the locker room, down by 23, I heard a player in disgust say "This guy don't know nuthin. I can't play for this coach." This was the 9th grade team and none of the players are in sniffing distance of the JV much less the varsity. I don't know what commentary to make, just wanted to share.

My game, girls V, actually proved to be exciting. After 2 weeks of nothing but blowouts, this one came down to the wire. The visitors haven't won a game all year and apparently haven't even come close. The home team had won a couple, nothing great, but were clear favorites. Visitors outplayed home for the first 11-12 minutes or so, and actually led by one with about 4 minutes left in the half. Home blows them out in the last 3-4 minutes or so to go up by 13 at half. Second half ebbs and flows and visitors manage to get back into the game, still down by 6 with about a minute to go. Three steals and 6 points later we're in overtime, 50-50 (the last 2 points came on a pair of foul shots with 8 seconds left)...just couldn't believe it.

After 32 minutes of both teams playing well over their heads and hitting shots they really shouldn't have, reality set in during OT. Each team scored 4 quick points and then middle school quality ball took over. Unbelievably ugly foul-fest for the rest of overtime and the, yes, you know it's coming, say it, say it, second overtime. They were flinging up shots from all over the court and not playing defense and hacking each other and missing a good 10-12 layups combined. At 56-56 we're on the verge of a 3rd ugly OT when a girl for the home team snags a long rebound, turns and flings what can only be described as a shot putt attempt that somehow went in at the buzzer...it was a beautiful thing.

The irony is that the game had been well-played and largely foul-free until OT. Had the two free throws at 8 seconds in regulation not gone in, we would have been done in 1 hour, 7 minutes. How do I know? One of my partners, a late fill-in, had a school concert his daughter was in to go to and he was tracking the time. Ironically, he made the foul call at 8 seconds that forced OT. I think he missed the concert
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89
I heard a player in disgust say "This guy don't know nuthin. I can't play for this coach."
Me coach answer: OK...you're right. Buh bye.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
Me coach answer: OK...you're right. Buh bye.
Copy and understand...however, the coach hadn't yet left the bench area so he didn't hear the comment. I watched the poor guy in the 3rd quarter and he seemed to know what he was doing, but his kids weren't listening to him at all and they played little other than street ball...it was ugly; they were behind by 30 at the end of 3, don't know the final score.

I posted this because the comment from a 14-year old--and one one who isn't ready for JV much less a jump to the NBA--was just so absurd. I don't know if the coach is aware of the team dynamics or not...just sad.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89
One of my partners, a late fill-in, had a school concert his daughter was in to go to and he was tracking the time. Ironically, he made the foul call at 8 seconds that forced OT. I think he missed the concert
Sorry to hear that your partner missed his daughter's concert. Family has to come first in my opinion, but unfortunately circumstances do sometimes arise that mess up the best laid plans. I'm sure that your partner felt that he would be rushed, but would indeed make the family event. Of course, he always could have declined or turned back the assignment, if it were that seriously important to him. On the other hand, I'm not going to question any official for being at a game when there is a shortage of officials nationwide and it is very possible that he was sorely needed to help conduct that game for those girls.
Still unfortunate that he ended up missing the opportunity to see his daughter perform.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, you're right, but life is a series of choices and he made his. It was the first time I ever worked with him and he was a very good official/partner, and obviously conscientious about calling the game right when he could have easily mailed it in. Too bad for his daughter, though.