The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Red face Doh!

I had a recent post where I whined about people not being able to understand that a touch in the frontcourt on a throwin does not give the ball frontcourt status.

So last night, I'm trail, the ball is thrown in from the baseline, tipped by the offense in the frontcourt, goes to backcourt and is recovered by the offense.

And I blew my whistle.

Sigh.

Rita
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't that just the way it goes...

BTW...a touch in the frontcourt on a throw-in does give the ball frontcourt status. But, then going to retrieve the ball in the backcourt is not a violation because that team never had team control.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Did you know it was a miscall right away? If so did you stick with the call? I'm in my first full year and I know that's going to happen to me soon enough.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 11:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
I had a recent post where I whined about people not being able to understand that a touch in the frontcourt on a throwin does not give the ball frontcourt status.

So last night, I'm trail, the ball is thrown in from the baseline, tipped by the offense in the frontcourt, goes to backcourt and is recovered by the offense.

And I blew my whistle.

Sigh.

Rita
Did you say "D'Oh!" out loud? Or did you think you said it out loud?
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 11:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue
Did you know it was a miscall right away? If so did you stick with the call? I'm in my first full year and I know that's going to happen to me soon enough.
I can't answer for what Rita did, but when you do this, pat yourself on the head and resume with a new throwin for team A.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I can't answer for what Rita did, but when you do this, pat yourself on the head and resume with a new throwin for team A.
Oh yeah. That's what I did.

Rita
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
I'm one of those people who doesn't understand that. Can you help me?

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Dec 12, 2007 at 04:47am.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 04:46am
Official Forum Member

Enlightening the confused.....
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Isn't that just the way it goes...

BTW...a touch in the frontcourt on a throw-in does give the ball frontcourt status. But, then going to retrieve the ball in the backcourt is not a violation because that team never had team control.
How can there be frontcourt status if there is no team control. Doesn't the team that is in control define whether you are standing in frontcourt or backcourt?
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph2493
How can there be frontcourt status if there is no team control. Doesn't the team that is in control define whether you are standing in frontcourt or backcourt?
Hmm...good point. A better way to say that would be that the touching gives the ball status in that half of the court. But, it doesn't really matter which half of the court it has status in, as nobody yet has team control...
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Hmm...good point. A better way to say that would be that the touching gives the ball status in that half of the court. But, it doesn't really matter which half of the court it has status in, as nobody yet has team control...
I would somewhat agree. Until a team gaines control it really doesn't matter what the court status is. The important thing to remember about the touching is that it did end the throw-in so some options do change.

Last edited by joseph2493; Wed Dec 12, 2007 at 08:19am.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would somewhat agree. I don't know that this is important on a throw-in though. Until a team gaines control it really doesn't matter. The important thing to remember about the touching is that it did end the throw-in so some options do change.
Absolutely...the touch ending the throw-in is what's important, and that's the point I was trying to make, while also pointing out that the ball's status is determined by that touch as well.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, the lines painted on the floor and rule 4-13 in the book define what is the frontcourt and what is the backcourt.

Which team has control has nothing to do with it.

The ball has a status of its own. That can be live or dead, inbounds or OOB, and in the FC or BC. Players each have their own status. Each can be inbounds, OOB, in the FC or in the BC and we hope that none are dead.

The status of the ball and the players are independent concepts. They only connect when the ball is in contact with a player or more than one player.
It is entirely possible to have all ten players in the backcourt and the ball in the frontcourt with respect to Team A. (Actually, I can think of a situation in which all five players from Team A can legally be OOB, all five players of Team B can be in their backcourt, and the ball can be in the backcourt of Team A!!! )

Please give 4-4 and 4-35 a thorough read.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
No, the lines painted on the floor and rule 4-13 in the book define what is the frontcourt and what is the backcourt.

Which team has control has nothing to do with it.

The ball has a status of its own. That can be live or dead, inbounds or OOB, and in the FC or BC. Players each have their own status. Each can be inbounds, OOB, in the FC or in the BC and we hope that none are dead.
While this is true there is no rule that depends on FC or BC status without team control that I can think of. In the OP's play FC/BC status is irrelevant. Do you agree...or is there some 3rd world case where it might apply that you can think of?

btw...4-13 just defines FC/BC, it doesn't tell you how FC/BC status is defined. The rule you'll need for ball status is actually 4-4.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Did you say "D'Oh!" out loud?
I believe that's the French spelling (which makes it metric, right Padgett?).