The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating without a lanyard.....

I know I've been doing this since started but a few guys told me some frown on it.

Wonder why?
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 01:49pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyCrawford
I know I've been doing this since started but a few guys told me some frown on it.

Wonder why?
Not sure what the rule# is, but maybe because it's part of an officials uniform?

But I would much rather see no lanyard than the bright, white lanyard w/ volleyball whistle
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 02:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyCrawford

Wonder why?
I heard that Tim Duncan and his wife are renewing their vows and he's asked you to be his best man.

Is it true?
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

i worked with a guy earlier this year who forgot his lanyard. At least 1/2 a dozen times when he blew it, the whistle would fly out of his mouth and scoot across the floor. He would just go get it, wipe it off and continue play.

At halftime he asked the AD if he had a lanyard and all he had was a neon green shoelace type. I chucked to myseld the whole second 1/2 while he officiated with a neon green lanyard.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

I just watched a varsity game and the R in a 3 man crew didn't have a lanyard. He also did the opening tip with his whistle in his mouth.

I was SHOCKED.

Very good official except for that.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

I had the lanyard ripped off of my shirt during the opening jump (the whistle was not in my mouth by the way). The little loop on the v-neck shirts was ripped off and I tried to do the game without my whistle attached to anything but I'm accustomed to blowing the whistle and then letting it fall out of my mouth. I had to pick it up off of the floor several times until I could get in my bag to get my "around the neck" lanyard.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:09pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me
i worked with a guy earlier this year who forgot his lanyard. At least 1/2 a dozen times when he blew it, the whistle would fly out of his mouth and scoot across the floor. He would just go get it, wipe it off and continue play.

At halftime he asked the AD if he had a lanyard and all he had was a neon green shoelace type. I chucked to myseld the whole second 1/2 while he officiated with a neon green lanyard.
You didn't have a spare he could borrow?
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20

I was SHOCKED.
look, mike, you have made some interesting and valuable contributions to this board, and I think you'll probably be an important member in the future. But you're gonna have to work on your vocabulary. This phrase, for instance, needs to fit the pattern, as follows,

I was SHOCKED! Shocked, I tell ya!

See how that flows? Nice little cliche. That's how we like it.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I actually had the pleasure of watching a varsity crew with one fellow who didn't use a lanyard call a game this year. He was quite adapt at using the whistle and quickly putting in his pocket to make the violation/foul call. I was watching with another sub-varsity official and we remarked that we would have spit the thing across the floor at least a dozen times.

The only other time I've seen that is Billy Crystal in "Forget Paris" where he plays an NBA ref. Kind of a quirky character trait, and an interesting film.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiogima
I had the lanyard ripped off of my shirt during the opening jump (the whistle was not in my mouth by the way). The little loop on the v-neck shirts was ripped off and I tried to do the game without my whistle attached to anything but I'm accustomed to blowing the whistle and then letting it fall out of my mouth. I had to pick it up off of the floor several times until I could get in my bag to get my "around the neck" lanyard.
Hold the whistle in your hand (or, in your case, wrap the lanyard around your fingers) and put it in your mouth when you need to make a call. It will force a patient whistle.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

I don't use a lanyard when I ref. A few of the officials in my area frown upon it here. I don't like the lanyard around the neck or the one on the shirt. Just a personal preference. I think I picked up the habit from using the finger whistle in football...

In 19 games I have dropped the whistle once and that was because a player threw the ball at me immediately after I blew the whistle...funny thing was she picked it up for me...lol...i wouldn't have done that if I saw that...
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 04:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

Question from a lurking football official:

Why is it verboten to have the opening tip with the whistle in your mouth?
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Hold the whistle in your hand (or, in your case, wrap the lanyard around your fingers) and put it in your mouth when you need to make a call. It will force a patient whistle.
That is the first logical explanation I have heard for why people do it other than to emulate NBA officials....interesting theory I wonder how well it would work...
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe

Only the the ref.. or the tossing official.

Do you value your teeth??
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 04:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe

Safety.