The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Inbounding Question

Last night I had worked my first game of the year, sophmore boys. I had an unusual situation that I need some guidance on the correct procedure (did I mess up or not).
Middle of third quarter not a very close game Team A up by about 25 points, I had an out of bounds call on the baseline, time-out called by B who is going to set up a play for the inbounds. Coming out of the timeout every one lines up, I blow the whistle to signal ready, and bounce the ball to the player who then fumbles the ball back inbounds. I blew the play dead and then handed the ball to the thrower. Was this the proper call/procedure? No one questioned the call but in my mind it was not any different than when the free-thrower fumbles the ball also. Just looking for some comments. Thanks!
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 11:30am
In Memoriam

Re-setting the throw-in is fine. As you said, use the philosophy for a FT shooter as outlined in casebook play 9.1.1.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 11:31am
Ch1town

Sounds good to me, but the real question is was it a front court throw-in on the endline for team B?

We are instructed to hand the ball to the thrower in those situations to begin with.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Sounds good to me, but the real question is was it a front court throw-in on the endline for team B?

We are instructed to hand the ball to the thrower in those situations to begin with.
True, handing the ball to the thrower is the preferred method when on the baseline. Now in some of the small gyms there is no room on the baseline, plus add cheerleaders and a 2 person crew, this makes it difficult to get to the sideline for a call ( for us older and or slower zebras ) or out of the way of a throw-in at times.

Hand it when you can but don't let it interfere with your ability to see the floor or put you in the middle of the play either. There is that old thing called common sense.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 01:59pm
(Something hilarious)

By the NFHS book, for frontcourt endline throw-ins, the ball is supposed to be handed to the thrower. The mechanic all but eliminates the likelihood of the ball getting away from the thrower on the exchange.

Some associations may allow for bouncing in these situations.