The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 02:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wow! To see that coach's face would have been worth the price of admission.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCord
I remember years ago watching a high school game where the offense went into a stall. The point guard had dribbled then picked the ball up to hold it at his coach's instruction. Defense stayed back and didn't press the matter. The guard held it for what seemed like five minutes (probably closer to 2 - 3 minutes). Then he dribbled again . The official, on top of his game, whistled the violation. I couldn't believe the official had the presence of mind to remember that the kid had already used up his dribble. What a great call!
Great story!
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
There is absolutely no rule which dictates which way a team may play. Stalling in a 4-corners offense is and has been an accepted part of the game.

I'm just glad I wasn't a fan there...
My high school alma mater is in the MI record books for scoring the fewest points to win a game and being involved in a game with the fewest total points scored.

In 1996 Hastings came to town with a very talented, high scoring team so Northwest decided to stall. Hastings decided not to press the issue. The final score:
Northwest - 7
Hastings - 6

In 5 overtimes!
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Yes I remember that rule, but I thought the hashmark rule was called the "20" second... You had to advance the ball passed the hashmark every 20 seconds to avoid a violation... Now if the defense wants to engage all they have to do is stay within 6' of the offensive player with the ball.. I feel the shotclock would resolve alot of these quirky situations.. Point: Play ball!!
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 04:28pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I believe the NFHS Lack of Action rule was deleted sometime after 1990-91. I graduated high school in 1991 and during our district ifnal game, the other team decided to wait for the last shot in the first quarter and was given a warning for lack of action, before hitting a buzzer-beating bucket to tie the game.

Fast forward to May 1994. AAU boys tournament with modified NFHS rules. one of the team decides to stall when the other team goes zone, and the referees aren't counting for lack of action. So the rule was apparently deleted between 1991 and 1993.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm - I didn't play high school ball so I don't know if the lack of action rules were if effect in CA (1988-1992).

HOWEVER, I was coaching CYO basketball during my high school years (and beyond) and I remember "lack of action" being mentioned in the rules. THis was because CYO adopted most of the Federation's rules with some exceptions.

Note that I DON'T remember if the lack of action rule was used in CYO or not. THe rule may have been mentioned in passing.

If there was no shot clock in CA back around the mid 90's, one of the highest scoring teams in the Bay Area might not have broken 100 points. Balboa High with their "Jet Offense" ran around some high quality competition but also the lower rung teams in their league. I know my alma mater tried to slow things up but the shot clock proved to be too difficult to overcome.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 07:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hash Mark

Don't forget that the 28 foot hash mark used to have another purpose besides lack of action. If a dribbler was closely guarded, and dribbled past the hash mark, in a forward direction, they got a new five second count. So a dribbler could hold for 4 seconds, dribble for 4 seconds, pass the hash mark, continue to dribble for another 4 seconds, and hold for 4 seconds, for a total of 16 seconds with no violation. Now the maximum is 12 seconds, hold, dribble, and hold.

When I was coaching, the players filling the two outside lanes on our fast break were required to touch the hash marks. It was a great teaching tool, until gyms started to get new paint on the floors, with no hash marks.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

A game in northern Wisconny was 5-3 ten or so years ago.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

...was the ruthless leader of the Soviet Union from 1922 - 1953.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

That's when we had a forecourt which was the portion of the frontcourt below the hash closes to the end line.

Mregor