The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

For those of you who have been working long enough, remember the days when we had the "lack of sufficient action" rule and all the different requirements and procedures to follow depending on who was supposed to "force" the action? Ugh! Glad to have that chaos long gone. (I did enjoy tossing the ball up on every jump ball, though.)
Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

This is a good reason why some states have gone with the shot clock, such as we have here in New York. It helped eliminate or at least shorten those long boring situations with little or no defense being played.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Blaine
Does anyone know what the rule is when a team holds the ball near half court, while the defense sits in a zone? Where can I find rules (basketball & baseball) on the net?

This is for the High School level.

Thanks...
Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

There is no rule. If the defense doesn't come out to guard the guy with the ball, you get an easy paycheck...but not much fun.

The NF Basketball Rule Book (but not the Case Book) is available at:
http://www.mcoa.org/basketball/rules.html

At least until the NF gets word of it and makes them shut it down.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

The clock ticks and ticks and ticks. There are no longer any rule provisions for forcing play or penalizing lack of play, other than the 5-second throw in, 10-second backcourt, and 5-second closely guarded rules. If none of those are applicable (and the situation you describes suggests they are not), then you watch and work on staying mentally focused for the unexpected. In high school, the unexpected will happen.

Concerning rules on the internet, try www.mcoa.org.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

I'd call it long boring situations with little or no OFFENSE being played. Actually, I haven't had many games in recent years where stalling tactics occurred for a large part of the game. Usually, it's been toward the end of the last quarter. That's where I'd like to see a shot clock available--make 'em go to the hoop, since they're "technically" on offense. Changes the whole nature of the game at that point, 'cuz now the team behind has to play incredible "offensive" defense to get the ball back, or foul "accidentally on purpose." But for the most part, I don't know that enough games occur with significant stalling to force the time clock into high school existence in most states. Interesting to hear that New York has it, though. Are there other states that have adopted the shot clock in high school?
Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I think 18 states have it in either boys or girls games.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 08:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

When a team is stalling, I amuse myself by trying to guess what each player will be when they grow up, based on their personalities displayed during the game.

When I have a kid who is especially argumentative - he's a lawyer. (Please don't sue me - I am very poor)
Old Wed Feb 02, 2000, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

I never did have a problem with the lack of action rule.
Rule 1: If the team closest to the drinking fountain had the ball only the opposing team could go for a drink.

Rule 2: blond cheerleaders always wore black tights.

Rule 3: consecutive counts of 4.9999997, 4.9999998, and 4.9999999 were allowed. However, if the year ended in 6 or 8, you had to multiply the total of the three by sum of their differences.

Rule 4: and any time a player looked to his coach for help the official would call a traveling violation.

See easy!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2000, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Blaine
Smile

LOL!!!!! Thanks guys for all of the GREAT responses. My wife and I really got a kick out of them.

Thanks again,
Blaine

PS:
My girls jr high school team is in the semi-finals. I'm a first year coach and do not know a lot of the "advanced" things about basketball. Baseball and football are my sports, but the girls needed a coach or forfit the season... (couldn't let that happen)