Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman
LOL, I'm sufficiently confused now....
But now you are confused at a higher level, about more important things.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman
1. A1 is being pressured heavily in the front court and is forced to pick up his dribble. Left foot becomes pivot. Defense now overplays the passing lanes. A1 starts to pass to A2 but sees it would be picked off so he holds up. However, his momentum has carried him off his left (pivot) and onto his right foot. So now he's balancing on his right foot, left foot in the air. This is not a travel unless his left foot comes back down, correct?

Please indulge me for one more follow-up. What if A1 goes to pass the ball and instead of lifting his pivot foot off the floor he drags it 6" without it ever leaving the floor. Is that a travel?
Is that "moving the pivot foot in excess of the prescribe limits" in 4-travelling?
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
There are rules I disagree with as well, even if this isn't one of them.

Think of dragging the pivot foot as, essentially, moving it from one location on the floor to another.

As long as he can balance for 4 seconds (maybe 9 in the backcourt), lifting it in the air is legal. It's a step-through move that's been around forever.
Your explanation of dragging the pivot foot makes sense, thank you.

I don't disagree that the player should be able to lift his pivot foot to shoot, I just think that allowing it to be a step puts the defense at a disadvantage if the player has already used up his dribble.

I've never had a problem with jumping off a pivot foot to shoot (without a dribble) as long as the jump is with both feet. Seems to me that stepping to the other foot is much more of an advantage than dragging the pivot foot, yet dragging it is an infraction. But then, I still see most jump-stop moves as traveling. Guess I'm old school.

Anyway, thanks to all for their patience in helping me understand. I've already put my new knowledge to good use on the floor this week. And if a coach questions a call I can cite the rule number now, too.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sure, it's an advantage, but it's an advantage the rule makers are apparently ok with.

Most good hook shots require this move.