The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Angry My "Savior"

No...this has nothing to do with proselytizing!

This has to do with my veteran partner a few nights ago (2-whistle). I've had run-in's with this person before, but anyway, I took a few days away from the situation before I wrote about it here. So, beside a lil ranting, this will be a "how would you handle it" type of threads.

Anyway, the game. Excellent 1st Q.

In the 2nd, I'm the lead, he's a transitioning trail, I called travelling on a post play across the key (which we are being trained NOT to do), waiting for him to make the call. He nods with approval and approaches me in a timeout, telling me "Excellent call, but I was wondering if I had to get that." Remember, I was waiting for him to get it, thinking (uhh yeah, you should have had that), but saying, "we had the call right."

Then, it just got worst. I'm the lead on the other end of the floor, table side. Home coach is chewing me out for not calling a foul on certain other play, while play is going on (fine, no prob). I acknowledge his concern and tell him that I can address any questions he has on the next dead ball. He agreed. My partner comes across the floor to give a tech to the assistant, for what I still have no idea. Partner said that he was yelling at me as I was acknowledging the head coach. Right after, partner goes to the head coach explaining that he just purchased a 'seatbelt.' He's now jokin-n-jivin' with that same coach while I'm administering his tech.

Now, he's calling fouls and violations all over the floor for the rest of the game. I went ahead and took the backseat since he was going to run the show. Assessed another tech on a player (same team, again, don't know what for), jokin'-n-jivin again with the "seated" coach. Got at least 3 OOB calls wrong, where even the players knew which way the ball was supposed to go, called kickball as the lead when the ball was coming over the division line when it was a great defensive play with the defender's hand (dont know what he saw from 40' feet away that I didnt from 5').

After the game, he now communicates with me "Just wanted to take care of my young partner, This is how you take care of young officials when it's your turn." Feeling totally insulted, I just smile and nod, leave for the night.

Needless to say, I call my supervisor and explain what happened. They are well aware of this person. Besides my concerns, my super's concern was whether the right team won. The right team did win, but should not have been by blowout.

Anyway, as mentioned above, how do you deal with these types?

Thanks.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

If your supervisor was really concerned and knew about this guy, why does he continue to assign him games?
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4Asian8
After the game, he now communicates with me "Just wanted to take care of my young partner, This is how you take care of young officials when it's your turn." Feeling totally insulted, I just smile and nod, leave for the night.

Needless to say, I call my supervisor and explain what happened. They are well aware of this person. Besides my concerns, my super's concern was whether the right team won. The right team did win, but should not have been by blowout.

Anyway, as mentioned above, how do you deal with these types?

Thanks.
Sounds great to me. Polite to him, fully acknowledging your own strengths and weaknesses aside from his, alerting the supervisor, being sure the "right" team won.

The only thing you left out was the part about saying (in your head, not out loud), "Yea, this is how NOT to take care of a young partner when it's my turn!"
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 02:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
If your supervisor was really concerned and knew about this guy, why does he continue to assign him games?
Because he's a body. Assignors have to cover all games. That's why "bodies" are needed too.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Because he's a body. Assignors have to cover all games. That's why "bodies" are needed too.
True, so true. Plenty of them everywhere I've been, so I'm not surprised...
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps you should have told him why you waited before you made the travel call in the second quarter. After all, he asked.

If your answer had been..."I saw it, but I waited a couple of seconds to see if you were going to call it. When you didn't, I figured that maybe you were blocked and made the call"

This answer may have conveyed to him that you knew what you were doing out there and he may not have felt the need to "take care of you".

Just a thought.....