The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Defender hits dribbler's hand; ball goes OOB; Whatcha got? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40140-defender-hits-dribblers-hand-ball-goes-oob-whatcha-got.html)

Jimgolf Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:36pm

Defender hits dribbler's hand; ball goes OOB; Whatcha got?

A1 is dribbling by the sideline. B1 reaches for the ball, doesn't hit the ball, but accidently hits A1's hand, which is in contact with the ball, and the ball goes out of bounds (without hitting anything else other than the floor). Call? Rules reference please?

Please consider 7-2, 7-3 and 4-24-2 in your answer.

I think the correct call by rule is Out of Bounds violation on A1. Am I missing something? BTW, I suspect most would say the ball was hit OOB by B1 and ignore the contact.

Thanks.

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:41pm

Who caused the ball to go OOB?

Rule 9-3-1.

Splute Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:48pm

As JR stated. The contact by B1 caused the ball to go OOB. Since hitting the hand which is in contact with the ball is the same as hitting the ball; B1 hit the ball OOBs.

chartrusepengui Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:52pm

Quote:

As JR stated. The contact by B1 caused the ball to go OOB. Since hitting the hand which is in contact with the ball is the same as hitting the ball; B1 hit the ball OOBs.
However - was the ball last touched by A? :-)

rainmaker Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui

In this particular play, it doesn't matter. I got into a very heated debate over this one time, and it ended up that I was wrong. Everyone (as far as I can tell) interprets the rules and cases in this sitch as oob off of B. You just have to go with it.

edited to correct. Thanks jdw

jdw3018 Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:54pm

Quote:

9-3-1...A player shall not cause the ball to go out of bounds.

jdw3018 Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
In this particular play, it doesn't matter. I got into a very heated debate over this one time, and it ended up that I was wrong. Everyone (as far as I can tell) interprets the rules and cases in this sitch as oob off of A. You just have to go with it.

OOB off A or B?

blindzebra Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:59pm

There is no way to hit the hand and not hit the ball, OOB off of B1...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.;)

MN BB Ref Thu Dec 06, 2007 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
9-3-1...A player shall not cause the ball to go out of bounds.

However, if we are to strictly adhere to that logic, what would we have when A1 is tied up in the corner and throws the ball at B1's legs and it goes oob off of B1? That would seem to be another case where A1 caused the ball to go oob but we would never give the ball to B in this case.

For the record, on the original situation I'm giving the ball back to A as I consider that to be the "right" call.

Splute Thu Dec 06, 2007 01:04pm

Quote:

Per the OP, it touched nothing else but the floor.

jdw3018 Thu Dec 06, 2007 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN BB Ref
However, if we are to strictly adhere to that logic, what would we have when A1 is tied up in the corner and throws the ball at B1's legs and it goes oob off of B1? That would seem to be another case where A1 caused the ball to go oob but we would never give the ball to B in this case.

I'm just giving information, actually, and am more interested in other responses than anything else. That said, the rebounding off of B1's leg is what caused the ball to go OOB, not A1's throwing of the ball.

Just like in the original post if B1 hits A1's hand while in contact with the ball causing the ball to go off A1's foot OOB, then it's B's ball...

Splute Thu Dec 06, 2007 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN BB Ref

For the record, on the original situation I'm giving the ball back to A as I consider that to be the "right" call.

In your stated case, IMO, B1 caused the ball to go out of bounds (off his/her legs). Again you are assuming A1 "intentionally" threw the ball at the legs of B1 rather than attempting a pass that "happened" to hit B1 in the legs. :D I believe the rules reference hitting someone in the face intentionally, but the legs are fair game... :p

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 06, 2007 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute
but the legs are fair game... :p

Especially on dates. :D

I can't wait for Juulie's comment. :eek:

rainmaker Thu Dec 06, 2007 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Especially on dates. :D

I can't wait for Juulie's comment. :eek:

I'm glad you're too old and ugly to be of interest to my daughter!

chartrusepengui Thu Dec 06, 2007 01:18pm

the hand bone's connected to the wrist bone,
the wrist bone's connected to the arm bone,
the arm bone's connected to the elbow bone,
the elbow bone's connected to the upper arm bone,
the upper arm bone's connected to the shoulder bone, ........ etc.

ball off A OOB giver to B