The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Defender hits dribbler's hand; ball goes OOB; Whatcha got? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40140-defender-hits-dribblers-hand-ball-goes-oob-whatcha-got.html)

just another ref Thu Dec 06, 2007 04:02pm

9-3-1

As JR pointed out days ago, this is the key. A player shall not cause the ball to go out of bounds.

Almost always, the last player to touch the ball/be touched by the ball is considered to be the one who caused it to go out. According to what I get out of the OP, that is not the case here. Violation on B1. A's ball.

inigo montoya Thu Dec 06, 2007 04:05pm

I would agree with you, but Rule 7-2 defines what it means to "cause the ball to go out of bounds" and based on that, it's a still a violation on A.

truerookie Thu Dec 06, 2007 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
A1 is dribbling by the sideline. B1 reaches for the ball, doesn't hit the ball, but accidently hits A1's hand, which is in contact with the ball, and the ball goes out of bounds (without hitting anything else other than the floor). Call? Rules reference please?

Please consider 7-2, 7-3 and 4-24-2 in your answer.

I think the correct call by rule is Out of Bounds violation on A1. Am I missing something? BTW, I suspect most would say the ball was hit OOB by B1 and ignore the contact.

Thanks.

In my JUDGEMENT, I got a foul on B1. ;). We play on from there.:D

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 06, 2007 06:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra

So book ref it and give the ball to B or real world it and give it back to A.

And if you're dumb enough to book-ref it, don't complain about your future assignments.

File this away as the <b>expected</b> call.

Or not.......shrug.........jmo anyway.

IREFU2 Fri Dec 07, 2007 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
A1 is dribbling by the sideline. B1 reaches for the ball, doesn't hit the ball, but accidently hits A1's hand, which is in contact with the ball, and the ball goes out of bounds (without hitting anything else other than the floor). Call? Rules reference please?

Please consider 7-2, 7-3 and 4-24-2 in your answer.

I think the correct call by rule is Out of Bounds violation on A1. Am I missing something? BTW, I suspect most would say the ball was hit OOB by B1 and ignore the contact.

Thanks.

Foul on B1, play on.....

Splute Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
Foul on B1, play on.....

Hitting the hand while in contact with the ball is not a FOUL. Why are you penalizing B1 for good defense? You can debate who it went OOB on, but not that it is a foul... imho.

Jimgolf Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
Foul on B1, play on.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
In my JUDGEMENT, I got a foul on B1. ;). We play on from there.:D

Calling a foul on this play is a common tack, however this is by definition not a foul unless the player is deliberately attempting to hit the hand and not making a play for the ball.

The question is who has caused the ball to go OOB? Since it is legal to hit the hand of a player dribbling a ball, and in this case, the defender has not touched the ball, player A1 has caused the ball to go out of bounds, since he was the last to touch it.

In reality, I think most would say that it looked like B1 made contact with the ball and award possession back to A.

The defender is making a legal play and shouldn't be penalized for it, but it is probably also likely that it could seem as if something other than the hand has been struck, so a foul could legitimately be called, since plays are not situations, but happen in real time.

Thanks for your responses.

Back In The Saddle Fri Dec 07, 2007 02:50pm

By a literal reading of the exact wording of the rule, this is OOB off of A, B's ball. But that is the wrong call. ;)