The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Is ball control the key?

A1 set to inbound ball ... throws it in, A2, who has both feet in the frontcourt standing on the ground, touches or slaps (does not control) ... the ball bounces into backcourt where A2 establishes both feet and picks up the ball ...

do we have a violation here? Or is control the key?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
A1 set to inbound ball ... throws it in, A2, who has both feet in the frontcourt standing on the ground, touches or slaps (does not control) ... the ball bounces into backcourt where A2 establishes both feet and picks up the ball ...

do we have a violation here? Or is control the key?
Team control must be established while the ball has FC status in order to have a backcourt violation.

Team control isn't established here until A2 picks up the ball.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks .. .wanted to confirm that.

How about on a try for FG on the rebound the ball is tipped back into the BC and recovered by the ofense? violation?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks .. .wanted to confirm that.

How about on a try for FG on the rebound the ball is tipped back into the BC and recovered by the ofense? violation?
No violation.

Team control is a necessity for a backcourt violation.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Last night in my wreck league I was A1 under our basket. A2 was near midcourt. All my options were gone under the basket so I rifled a pass to A2. The ball is above his head and goes thru (touching) his hands like a Detroit Lion wide receiver. A2 goes into the BC, picks up ball and starts a dribble. Trail calls a BC violation.

He did call a great game other than that, so my turnover and a missed FT canceled out his 2 bad calls.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
Last night in my wreck league I was A1 under our basket. A2 was near midcourt. All my options were gone under the basket so I rifled a pass to A2. The ball is above his head and goes thru (touching) his hands like a Detroit Lion wide receiver. A2 goes into the BC, picks up ball and starts a dribble. Trail calls a BC violation.

He did call a great game other than that, so my turnover and a missed FT canceled out his 2 bad calls.
Depends Coach...were you inbounding the ball or was it good D and you couldn't get a shot off and 3 seconds was looming down on you...
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP

So if I understand correctly, you had control inbounds and made a pass to a teammate who did not catch it and the ball went in to BC where your team mate recovered it.

This is a BC violation and the official got it right.

You had team control at the time of the pass and the pass was never touched by a member of B before going BC.

Unless I am missing something....
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmckenna
So if I understand correctly, you had control inbounds and made a pass to a teammate who did not catch it and the ball went in to BC where your team mate recovered it.

This is a BC violation and the official got it right.

You had team control at the time of the pass and the pass was never touched by a member of B before going BC.

Unless I am missing something....
I think coach was inbounding the ball under his own basket. But the OP wasn't clear.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

I thought about that for a second as well but like you said the OP is not clear if this was a throw-in or if the ball was already inbounds....
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, yes, I was A1 inbounding under our basket.

I was putting myself in JohnnyRingo's OP as A1...in my head, but not on keyboard.

But we did win and I did get my 26th consecutive career "triple- single"
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

No team control on a field goal try so a long tipped rebound to the backcourt does not result in violation! Got it!

one more ... on a moving screen you don't shoot fts on the other end, however on a push in the back on a rebound you do ... team control thing, again, correct?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No team control on a field goal try so a long tipped rebound to the backcourt does not result in violation! Got it!

one more ... on a moving screen you don't shoot fts on the other end, however on a push in the back on a rebound you do ... team control thing, again, correct?
Any personal foul by the team with control is a team control foul, unless it is a player control foul. Either way, no FTs. On a rebound, there is no team control and any common foul would result in FTs if the team is in the bonus.