The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Foam siding on backboard

Twice now I've had a partner, while I have been lead ball-side, call an out-of-bounds when the ball strikes the foam that covers the bottom and sides of the backboard. I was not under the impression that this foam was considered a "support" of the backboard.

I have to assume that I'm missing something because it's happened twice so far this season, both times when I've been lead right behind the basket, and it's getting called by my partners who are 20 feet away from the play.

Help?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:19pm
PYRef

Your partner's wrong.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct. The bottom, sides, and top of the backboard (including the padding) are not OOB.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, it's been two different partners, which makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills or something.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

[QUOTE=fiasco]Twice now I've had a partner, while I have been lead ball-side, call an out-of-bounds when the ball strikes the foam that covers the bottom and sides of the backboard. I was not under the impression that this foam was considered a "support" of the backboard.

I have to assume that I'm missing something because it's happened twice so far this season, both times when I've been lead right behind the basket, and it's getting called by my partners who are 20 feet away from the play.

Fiasco, The sides top and bottom of the back board are inbounds. As lead you probably should be focused on the players in your primary anyway-which would not include the back board.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
"As lead you probably should be focused on the players in your primary anyway-which would not include the back board." or basket.

While your partner IS wrong, this is good advice.

Last edited by grunewar; Mon Dec 03, 2007 at 01:32pm.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco
Twice now I've had a partner, while I have been lead ball-side, call an out-of-bounds when the ball strikes the foam that covers the bottom and sides of the backboard. I was not under the impression that this foam was considered a "support" of the backboard.

Help?
You are correct this is not OB, however, you should not be looking here as lead, so the fact that they are 20 feet away is not really relevant - it would be their call IF they were correct
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Fiasco, there is nothing wrong with knowing the ball didn't strike the backside of the backboard while you were focused on your primary. Your understanding of the rule is correct. We all miss one now and then. Chalk it up as your partners turn to miss one. Use tact and judgement to question them you feel comfortable or don't.