The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
NCAA rules, please.

I know that in NCAA, only 4 opponents of the free thrower and only 2 teammates of the free thrower may be along the lane during the attempt(s). My question is, can the opponents occupy 3 spaces on the same side of the lane? Normally you see 2 on one side and 2 on the other side. Could they move one guy to the other side and have 3 on one side?

During my game on Saturday, this happened. And (just because it looked wierd, I guess) I asked the opponent closest to the free thrower to move to the other side of the lane. My partner questioned me on it and we looked in the rulebook for it. I don't remember the exact citation, but I think one of the articles in Rule 8 mentions that the opponent can occupy either of the two lane spaces closest to the free thrower.

Did I do the correct thing in asking one of the free thrower's opponents to move to the other side of the lane?

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

in mens nc2a the players have no designated space to fill(except the block).
in womens nc2a the players have to be in designated lane spaces.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I should've been more specific. I am talking about a Men's game. Sorry.

Here's the rules sections that I was talking about it my initial post.

Rule 8-1-8 "(Men) A teammate of the free-thrower shall be entitled to the second adjacent lane space on each side and an opponent of the free-thrower shall be entitled to occupy either of the next two lane spaces on each side." (emphasis mine)

I took this to mean that you couldn't have opponents in both the 3rd and 4th lane space on the same side. Was I right about that?

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
I don't think that's true, tony. Rule 8-1-4 says "A teammate of the free-thrower may occupy the third space when it is not already taken but may never occupy the fourth space". That sounds like the spaces are designated. Maybe I'm being too strict in my reading, but that's how it sounds to me.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I should've been more specific. I am talking about a Men's game. Sorry.

Here's the rules sections that I was talking about it my initial post.

Rule 8-1-8 "(Men) A teammate of the free-thrower shall be entitled to the second adjacent lane space on each side and an opponent of the free-thrower shall be entitled to occupy either of the next two lane spaces on each side." (emphasis mine)

I took this to mean that you couldn't have opponents in both the 3rd and 4th lane space on the same side. Was I right about that?

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
I don't think that's true, tony. Rule 8-1-4 says "A teammate of the free-thrower may occupy the third space when it is not already taken but may never occupy the fourth space". That sounds like the spaces are designated. Maybe I'm being too strict in my reading, but that's how it sounds to me.
Chuck - You're right in your response to Tony. Team B MUST occupy space 1 on each side and has first choice on space 3 on each side. Team A MAY occupy space 2 (or 3 if B chooses not to) but never space 4.

As for your initial question...i don't see a problem with Team B having players in Space 1 on both sides, then Spaces 3 and 4 on the same side.

Jake