Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

T mechanics

Coach does something that deserves a T.

Please outline the steps you now take.

Rita
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 11:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Could you be a little more specific? What was the T for? What mechanics apply? What kind of game were you officiating or watching?

Peace
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

1. Blow Whistle
  2. Make T sign
  3. go to reporting area and report foul to table
  4. if necessary, discuss questions with table
  5. have partner explain to offending coach how to fasten his seatbelt. (discussed during pregame)
  6. administer free throws
  7. inbound at half court
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Do your best to keep emotion out of your signaling while doing what Ignats said. I've seen a lot of officials "grandstand" a bit with emotion and it does nothing but keep the fires burning! However, easy to say...hard to do.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Don't "break the fingers of your hand" when you make the T signal, Just do it ina calm professional manner. Showboating doesn't help anyone.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
1. Whistle, T sign (make it look really cool, yet unemotional)
2. Partner needs to get to you before you go to the table, especially in a 3-person crew, discuss who the T is on, which end the shots will take place, and how we are resuming play (this should only take a few seconds, it keeps you from looking dumb when the whole crew doesn't know whats up)
4. Report to the table (again look really cool, everyones watching, but still be unemotional)
5. Go opposite, get away from the coach, no good can come of you staying, and if a 2nd T needs to be given the perception is much better if it comes from the "innocent" party.

Trust me, I've called plenty of T's, this is one I know how to handle! I ejected a coach tonight in fact.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH
2. Partner needs to get to you before you go to the table, especially in a 3-person crew, discuss who the T is on, which end the shots will take place, and how we are resuming play (this should only take a few seconds, it keeps you from looking dumb when the whole crew doesn't know whats up)
4. Report to the table (again look really cool, everyones watching, but still be unemotional)
5. Go opposite, get away from the coach, no good can come of you staying, and if a 2nd T needs to be given the perception is much better if it comes from the "innocent" party.

Trust me, I've called plenty of T's, this is one I know how to handle! I ejected a coach tonight in fact.

Well don't I feel stupid now, I can't even number my little outline properly.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH

#2 is the most important part. NEVER neglect this step. If you're feeling emotional, or something frazzling just happened, this step also gives you a few seconds to calm down and pull yourself together.

Also, don't call the T on the coach if the opponent has a breaking play. Do call it right away if that T coach's players have a breaking play.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 02:06am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH

The unemotional part is good, the look cool part not so important.

Try not to seem quite this proud afterward.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
When I have given technical fouls, i use the NBA mechanic the two index figures. To me it seems that their type of technical foul signal makes the offiicials look less emotional when they give it. The big technical foul signal to me looks more agressive and shows an emotional part of the official even though he or she may not be emotional when given it. The steps I follow are:

1. Make sure I'm not killing a fast break or interupt the game in way that can cause crew problems (calling a technical foul on the head coach during a shot attempt for example).

2. Give the simple technical foul signal. For me the NBA T
3. report the T to the table. Direct Technical foul Red head coach or whoever it's on.

4. Get the crew together and discuss what I have, how many we are shooting if any, and how play is to resumed ( this is either can also be step 3 if we have multiple technical fouls or something wierd, or if i get that feeling that we need to discuss the procedure before reporting.)

5. Go opposite table if i have to and continue on with the game
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

I prefer order that Tref21 wrote. I would rather report to the table first then talk to my partners. I don't want one of my partners running over to me to talk before I report anything, unless what I'm about to report is wrong.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
  1. Blow Whistle
  2. Make T sign
  3. go to reporting area and report foul to table
  4. if necessary, discuss questions with table
  5. have partner explain to offending coach how to fasten his seatbelt. (discussed during pregame)
  6. administer free throws
  7. inbound at half court
Do you put fist up along with whistle blast indicating foul then proceed with the listed mechanics above?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 08:34am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
When I have given technical fouls, i use the NBA mechanic the two index figures. To me it seems that their type of technical foul signal makes the offiicials look less emotional when they give it. The big technical foul signal to me looks more agressive and shows an emotional part of the official even though he or she may not be emotional when given it. The steps I follow are:

1. Make sure I'm not killing a fast break or interupt the game in way that can cause crew problems (calling a technical foul on the head coach during a shot attempt for example).

2. Give the simple technical foul signal. For me the NBA T
3. report the T to the table. Direct Technical foul Red head coach or whoever it's on.

4. Get the crew together and discuss what I have, how many we are shooting if any, and how play is to resumed ( this is either can also be step 3 if we have multiple technical fouls or something wierd, or if i get that feeling that we need to discuss the procedure before reporting.)

5. Go opposite table if i have to and continue on with the game
Excellent post. I also agree with the NBA-style T looking less emotional.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 08:34am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFFICIAL
Do you put fist up along with whistle blast indicating foul then proceed with the listed mechanics above?
I don't. I might stop the clock with an open hand, just out of habit, but I don't use a fist.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
The unemotional part is good, the look cool part not so important.

Try not to seem quite this proud afterward.
I took it to mean "cool" as in calm and collected, not necessarily "cool" like the Fonz.