The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Unhappy

This is something I am sure everyone has faced, but it was a first for me tonite. Supposed to have a 3 man crew tonite for Spring League. Well, one guy got thrown out of his womans house, one guy had an urgent meeting. (Of course NO ONE PHONED TO LET ME KNOW) So it was just yours truly. One man, four teams, two games. (80 bucks)
It took me awhile to find a comfortable spot that let me see as much as possible, and really tried to hustle my keester off. (Very difficult after 36 holes of golf I might add). Eventually, I found that calling from the trail (away from the benches) and bleeding over to the middle of the court was the best angle. I called fairly tight, anyone who boxed out got rewarded early with some pushing/on the back calls. That helped keep tempers down.
After the games, I had all the coaches and several parents thank me for the effort and tell me I did a good job controling the games with out controlling the out come. One of the coaches asked if my partners HAD to come back next week. Just thought I'd see what everyone's thoughts were on a 1 man crew. (Other then DON't Do It)
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

That's consistent with my experiences too. Usually the players and coaches are very understanding that you can't see everything. I usually get less grief when I work a game alone, whether it's a basketball game or a Little League game.
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 10:09pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
Eventually, I found that calling from the trail (away from the benches) and bleeding over to the middle of the court was the best angle. I called fairly tight, anyone who boxed out got rewarded early with some pushing/on the back calls. That helped keep tempers down.
fletch_irwin_m,
That is the same way I work those one-man surprises.
On occasion, I'll wander down low to catch some post stuff and to let them know they got my attention, but I base myself trail-to-trail. If the teams are right-handed, or left-handed, that too can help me determine on which side of the court I'll stand. It seems that most of the younger teams tend to work to the right, so I may move diagonally trail-to-trail to get more of a view.
Actually the most awkward thing for me is administering those darn one-man, end line throw-ins.
mick
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

The other thing I usually find helps is making a comment at the start of the game that you are by yourself - and that you expect both teams to act in a sportsmanlike manner. Basically I ask them that if I am unsure of an out-of-bounds call that they own up if they know it was out off them. Believe it or not I have actually had cases where both teams have claimed it came out of them!

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Fri May 24, 2002, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Sounds good for yur first time.

I always get the coaches on board to call OOB on the far sidelines, and those odd ones in the opposite corner away from you. I always stay away from the benches so I can see the and the table at all times.

I usually give the kids the play clean spiel, I know I'll miss some things, but you can bet I'll get the retaliation.

And Mick is right, can't we just put a rule in the mechanics book on 1-man games where we can just let the guys check it up when it is supposed to be an end line throw-in???
Old Fri May 24, 2002, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
And Mick is right, can't we just put a rule in the mechanics book on 1-man games where we can just let the guys check it up when it is supposed to be an end line throw-in???
Bounce (not hand) the ball.

Tell the inbounder (so others can hear) to wait.

Move to your spot.

Announce that play can commence.

-OR-

Hand the ball to the thrower.

Stay there.

Look for a quick shot.

If none, move back out.

Old Fri May 24, 2002, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
What I did on endlines was tell them all to wait for the whistle. So I would bounce it and get to my spot and blow the whistle.
I did try to stay away from the coaches, but it wasn't a big deal when I would bleed over to the center.
Also, threw 3 T's. More then I had all of Spring League. One guy said I raped him. ( I told his regular season coach afterwards I did not even think he was cute!)
I did not put up with any lip, and most of the guys were great and usually cussed out the kid that got the "T". Plus, the coaches took care of it afterwards. Thankfully, neither team had a post player, and one team boxed out well, so a lot of stuff underneath became easier to call.
Other then the 80 bucks, I never want to do that again. That is why I scheduled a three man crew!
Old Fri May 24, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Talking

One man mechanics- Good for you and the "T"s. I have had similiar situations one many occasions, and after the first T most players settle down. I have a faster trigger when I am alone, because you are the only one that can protect your back...so I make sure the players know(if warranted of course) that I have eyes and ears on my backside also.

AK ref SE
Old Fri May 24, 2002, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Doing a game alone that was scheduled as 2-whistle, is bad enough, but a game that was supposed to be 3-whistle has got to be at least twice as difficult to work alone. It sounds like you did great. I was astonished to read in "Calling the Shots" that occasionally an NBA game would have only one ref. I cannot imagine.
Old Sat May 25, 2002, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker,

Is "Calling the shots" a magazine?

Thanks
Old Sat May 25, 2002, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Rainmaker,

Is "Calling the shots" a magazine?

Thanks
No - it's a book (a very hard to find book, I might add) by Earl Strom - former NBA ref (from the beginning days of the NBA).
Old Mon May 27, 2002, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
No - it's a book (a very hard to find book, I might add) by Earl Strom - former NBA ref (from the beginning days of the NBA).
They occasionally have used copies on Amazon.com, or you might find it at another used book site if you have a competent browser. Also check your local library. Multnomah County (libreary system here in Portland) has a copy.
Old Mon May 27, 2002, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Thanks folks,

I just ordered a copy. (used) I'll let you know how I like it.

Thanks Again !
Old Mon May 27, 2002, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
I have seen a pro-ref work a game in the CBA all by himself. He said before the game that for the most part,he was going to work 3 point line to 3 point line extended.. bench side so that he would have basically the same angle as the coaches had. The game was late in the season and had playoff positioning on the line and he did a great job of keeping the game in control and the whole game there was only one debatable call(an out of bounds on the far corner from him). When I work a game alone... I like to work opposite the bench and tell the clock person that if I am in doubt of an out of bounds call on their side... I will ask them 4 their assistance. Seems to work 4 me.