The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Little Help?

I know this has been posted before, but does anyone have a good resource for two-person mechanics? Working in a new conference tonight for an assignor who demands that he see you work underclass games before he will give up any varsity stuff...which is fine w/ me, but my only two-person experience in the last 4 years or so has been in jr. high where they don't exactly follow mechanics exactly by the book! Thanks!
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

I seem to recall that you are in IL.

If so, I think that information in on the official's center at ihsa.org
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
THe NFHS Officials Manual has all the Two-man mechanics
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
I know this has been posted before, but does anyone have a good resource for two-person mechanics? Working in a new conference tonight for an assignor who demands that he see you work underclass games before he will give up any varsity stuff...which is fine w/ me, but my only two-person experience in the last 4 years or so has been in jr. high where they don't exactly follow mechanics exactly by the book! Thanks!
go back about.. a week or two on this forum... someone posted a youtube video.. it goes over the 2 man mechanic. Its very basic, but should help a little.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys..I checked the NF, but should've checked IHSA...
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXvco6Z_qto
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Wow my two-person skills are rustier than I thought, they have the L rotating to ball side to officiate the post now? What I can't tell from the presentation though is does T also rotate or do you just have two officials on ball side until L moves back?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow my two-person skills are rustier than I thought, they have the L rotating to ball side to officiate the post now? What I can't tell from the presentation though is does T also rotate or do you just have two officials on ball side until L moves back?
You have two on the ball side for the time you rotate. Then as lead you would rotate back to the other side to become trail when the ball goes the other way.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. In two-person it is not a rotation, the lead is simply coming ball side. If the play goes the other way, the L (old L, new T) needs to come back to his side.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
You have two on the ball side for the time you rotate. Then as lead you would rotate back to the other side to become trail when the ball goes the other way.
Thanks JD....what if you have a quick pass from the post opposite and it goes out of bounds on the weak side sideline? As L that is still mine right? Good luck on a close one there! Any tips on that from guys who have attended two-person camps recently?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Also looks like you DO execute the long-switch in two man is that correct? The presentation said that you switch on "all fouls" and made no reference to the long switch...
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks guys..I checked the NF, but should've checked IHSA...
Illinois does not use the NF Official's Manual anymore. The IHSA Website and camp attendance is where you should relay on your information as to what to do (or you can speak to an IHSA Clinician, which I am one). By all means read the NF book for a resource, just keep in mind there are differences you might not be aware of. This is why the IHSA website is the better resource for you.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Illinois does not use the NF Official's Manual anymore. The IHSA Website and camp attendance is where you should relay on your information as to what to do (or you can speak to an IHSA Clinician, which I am one). By all means read the NF book for a resource, just keep in mind there are differences you might not be aware of. This is why the IHSA website is the better resource for you.

Peace
Thanks Jeff, can you advise on the sideline out of bounds in my last post as well as the long switch in 2-person?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

In two person mechanics you switch on all fouls. Now if you do not switch in this situation I do not see many people getting all upset over this if you choose not to switch. Just understand the purpose of the switch is so you do not call the same thing over and over again on the same team from the same position. You switch so that you can change your position. Now if you are working with me (outside of the summer leagues) we are going to switch every single time. And by definition this is really not considered a long switch as it is in a 3 Person system.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
In two person mechanics you switch on all fouls. Now if you do not switch in this situation I do not see many people getting all upset over this if you choose not to switch. Just understand the purpose of the switch is so you do not call the same thing over and over again on the same team from the same position. You switch so that you can change your position. Now if you are working with me (outside of the summer leagues) we are going to switch every single time. And by definition this is really not considered a long switch as it is in a 3 Person system.

Peace
Thanks!