The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Little Help? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39964-little-help.html)

kbilla Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:30am

Little Help?

I know this has been posted before, but does anyone have a good resource for two-person mechanics? Working in a new conference tonight for an assignor who demands that he see you work underclass games before he will give up any varsity stuff...which is fine w/ me, but my only two-person experience in the last 4 years or so has been in jr. high where they don't exactly follow mechanics exactly by the book! Thanks!

bob jenkins Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:36am

I seem to recall that you are in IL.

If so, I think that information in on the official's center at ihsa.org

mcdanrd Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:37am

THe NFHS Officials Manual has all the Two-man mechanics

Bearfanmike20 Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbilla
I know this has been posted before, but does anyone have a good resource for two-person mechanics? Working in a new conference tonight for an assignor who demands that he see you work underclass games before he will give up any varsity stuff...which is fine w/ me, but my only two-person experience in the last 4 years or so has been in jr. high where they don't exactly follow mechanics exactly by the book! Thanks!

go back about.. a week or two on this forum... someone posted a youtube video.. it goes over the 2 man mechanic. Its very basic, but should help a little.

kbilla Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:58am

Thanks guys..I checked the NF, but should've checked IHSA...

Bearfanmike20 Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:06pm

Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXvco6Z_qto

kbilla Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:59pm

Wow my two-person skills are rustier than I thought, they have the L rotating to ball side to officiate the post now? What I can't tell from the presentation though is does T also rotate or do you just have two officials on ball side until L moves back?

jdw3018 Fri Nov 30, 2007 01:03pm

Quote:

Wow my two-person skills are rustier than I thought, they have the L rotating to ball side to officiate the post now? What I can't tell from the presentation though is does T also rotate or do you just have two officials on ball side until L moves back?

You have two on the ball side for the time you rotate. Then as lead you would rotate back to the other side to become trail when the ball goes the other way.

Back In The Saddle Fri Nov 30, 2007 01:05pm

Quote:

No. In two-person it is not a rotation, the lead is simply coming ball side. If the play goes the other way, the L (old L, new T) needs to come back to his side.

kbilla Fri Nov 30, 2007 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
You have two on the ball side for the time you rotate. Then as lead you would rotate back to the other side to become trail when the ball goes the other way.

Thanks JD....what if you have a quick pass from the post opposite and it goes out of bounds on the weak side sideline? As L that is still mine right? Good luck on a close one there! Any tips on that from guys who have attended two-person camps recently?

kbilla Fri Nov 30, 2007 01:11pm

Also looks like you DO execute the long-switch in two man is that correct? The presentation said that you switch on "all fouls" and made no reference to the long switch...

JRutledge Fri Nov 30, 2007 01:15pm

Quote:

Thanks guys..I checked the NF, but should've checked IHSA...

Illinois does not use the NF Official's Manual anymore. The IHSA Website and camp attendance is where you should relay on your information as to what to do (or you can speak to an IHSA Clinician, which I am one). By all means read the NF book for a resource, just keep in mind there are differences you might not be aware of. This is why the IHSA website is the better resource for you.

Peace

kbilla Fri Nov 30, 2007 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Illinois does not use the NF Official's Manual anymore. The IHSA Website and camp attendance is where you should relay on your information as to what to do (or you can speak to an IHSA Clinician, which I am one). By all means read the NF book for a resource, just keep in mind there are differences you might not be aware of. This is why the IHSA website is the better resource for you.

Peace

Thanks Jeff, can you advise on the sideline out of bounds in my last post as well as the long switch in 2-person?

JRutledge Fri Nov 30, 2007 01:28pm

In two person mechanics you switch on all fouls. Now if you do not switch in this situation I do not see many people getting all upset over this if you choose not to switch. Just understand the purpose of the switch is so you do not call the same thing over and over again on the same team from the same position. You switch so that you can change your position. Now if you are working with me (outside of the summer leagues) we are going to switch every single time. And by definition this is really not considered a long switch as it is in a 3 Person system.

Peace

kbilla Fri Nov 30, 2007 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
In two person mechanics you switch on all fouls. Now if you do not switch in this situation I do not see many people getting all upset over this if you choose not to switch. Just understand the purpose of the switch is so you do not call the same thing over and over again on the same team from the same position. You switch so that you can change your position. Now if you are working with me (outside of the summer leagues) we are going to switch every single time. And by definition this is really not considered a long switch as it is in a 3 Person system.

Peace

Thanks!