The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Jumpball Violation?

A fellow official claims that this happened in an adult rec league game using NFHS rules. A1 and B1 are jumpers to start the game. As the referee tosses the ball, B1 gets a cramp in his calf and bends over to massage it. A1 jumps and weakly tips the ball, which comes straight down on the back of B1. where it lingers long enough for the players to wonder what to do about it. A1 decides to grab the ball off of B1's back.

Can the sustained contact of the ball with the back of B1 be considered a violation? If not, I assume that A1 has committed a violation by catching the ball when he grabbed it. Any thoughts? (other than those regarding the veracity of the claim or the likelihood of it ever happening again)
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 10:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

Since B1 never actually held the ball, I would say this is a violation on A1. B1 should've just tapped the ball again to one of his teammates.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 10:56am
In Memoriam

As per rule 6-3-8, the jump ball and it's restrictions never ended because the ball didn't touch the floor, a non-jumper, a basket/backboard or an official. A1 committed a violation as per rule 6-3-7(c) by catching the jump ball.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Durkee
A fellow official claims that this happened in an adult rec league game using NFHS rules. A1 and B1 are jumpers to start the game. As the referee tosses the ball, B1 gets a cramp in his calf and bends over to massage it. A1 jumps and weakly tips the ball, which comes straight down on the back of B1. where it lingers long enough for the players to wonder what to do about it. A1 decides to grab the ball off of B1's back.

Can the sustained contact of the ball with the back of B1 be considered a violation? If not, I assume that A1 has committed a violation by catching the ball when he grabbed it. Any thoughts? (other than those regarding the veracity of the claim or the likelihood of it ever happening again)
A clever official would blow the whistle while the ball is on B1's back and stop the game for the injured player. Since neither team has yet to establish control (having the ball come to rest on one's back does not equate to holding the ball), the game is restarted with the POI rule. In this situation that dictates another jumpball in the center circle between any two opponents.

That seems to be the most elegant solution.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 06:59pm
PYRef

Quote:
A fellow official claims that this happened in an adult rec league game using NFHS rules.
Sounds like B1 shouldn't be playing in the first place if the old geezer gets a cramp even before the toss. I'd find a violation on him just for that!

Quote:
..which comes straight down on the back of B1. where it lingers long enough for the players to wonder what to do about it...
...that's a warning...and a T in Kansas!!
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 07:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
...that's a warning...and a T in Kansas!!
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 09:06pm
PYRef

Ok, this has nothing to do with the thread. I just wanted my 200th post!!

Play on!