The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Uniform problem in Tennessee (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39809-uniform-problem-tennessee.html)

Nevadaref Mon Nov 26, 2007 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75
OK, I'm man enough to admit when I am wrong. I have another book from the NFHS and that one is very clear. You are correct, they can assess the T when the player reenters the game if they miss it the first time.

Excellent. Learning is what this forum is all about. I'm curious which other book convinced you. I know that the Case Book and the Rules by Topic both contain the following case play:

3.4 SITUATION B: During the first dead ball after the game has started, it is discovered that all Team B players have illegal shirts or illegal pants. RULING: The five players of B cannot be penalized unless they are replaced and are penalized before the ball becomes live on return. Substitutes must be penalized on entry before the ball becomes live. Once the individual is penalized, he/she is permitted to participate without further penalty for that infraction. (10-3-2)

I probably should have cited that case play earlier.

JoeTheRef Tue Nov 27, 2007 01:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Excellent. Learning is what this forum is all about. I'm curious which other book convinced you. I know that the Case Book and the Rules by Topic both contain the following case play:

3.4 SITUATION B: During the first dead ball after the game has started, it is discovered that all Team B players have illegal shirts or illegal pants. RULING: The five players of B cannot be penalized unless they are replaced and are penalized before the ball becomes live on return. Substitutes must be penalized on entry before the ball becomes live. Once the individual is penalized, he/she is permitted to participate without further penalty for that infraction. (10-3-2)

I probably should have cited that case play earlier.

Nevada, I think Ignats quoted the actual penalty for 10.3.2 which stated that Each violation is penalized one time if discovered prior to ball becoming live for each designated starter and each substitute who enters. I read the same thing earlier today at work, and was on the same line of thinking; that the technicals must be assesed if discovered prior to ball becoming live, and the second half was definitely to late.

Now, I guess I must've have missed any posts that relates to the point that the coach stated that the were penalized at the beginning of the game for the infraction or so he thought. If the officials kicked the rule and then misapplied the penalty at the beginning of the game, is it correct to come back in the 2nd half and say, we screwed the pooch, so we're going to fix it now. If technical foul shots were taken at the beginning of the game did they account for those shots and just added on in the 2nd half? How do they know which subs came in and didn't come in? It's just a SNAFU situation. You have an infraction of a rule, you kicked the rule, then you misapplied the penalty of said kicked rule. Is this correctable later in the game, especially 2 quarters later?? If you said you're correcting the infraction because a team was not allotted their free throws, the time has elapsed to correct that, right?

Nevadaref Tue Nov 27, 2007 06:35am

Joe, that game took place in TN. I'm in NV. So I obviously can't answer any questions about what those game officials did or did not take into account or why they handled this as they did. It certainly seems to have been quite a mess.

All that I can do is tell you that per the just cited case book play this infraction certainly can be penalized later in the game if the required circumstances arise. That's all I can say.

dblref Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Oh my........

You've never been to Hackensack or Bayonne, have you?

Actually, I was in Bayonne 2 days for a week when I worked for the government. :D

dblref Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Never been to Columbus, have you?

Actually, I have been there at least a dozen times in the past 5 years, and that's why I made the comment.:D Also, see my comment back to JR regarding Bayonne. 39+ years with Uncle Sam gave me the opportunity to visit a ton of "garden spots" (i.e. Ft. Drum, NY in February, Cleveland in January, Ft. Bliss (what a misnomer) in August, yada, yada).

Jurassic Referee Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblref
Actually, I was in Bayonne 2 days for a week when I worked for the government.

Yabut.......

I'll bet that you never stood on the bow of a rusty freighter of Iberian registration, arm-in-arm with your loved one, singing...

<i>Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on.</i>

...while watching the sun set over the Bayonne Bridge.
http://www.cruisecritic.com/images/p...eliberty01.jpg

Yes, we'll always have Bayonne.

Ignats75 Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:16am

Rules by Topic was the NFHS book I used.

Nevadaref Tue Nov 27, 2007 06:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75
Rules by Topic was the NFHS book I used.

and was it the case play that I just quoted that did the trick or something else?

Thanks.

I wish to know because I sometimes have to convince some of our local officials about the more esoteric rules and thus like to know what people find clear and convincing.

dblref Wed Nov 28, 2007 07:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yabut.......

I'll bet that you never stood on the bow of a rusty freighter of Iberian registration, arm-in-arm with your loved one, singing...

<i>Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on.</i>

...while watching the sun set over the Bayonne Bridge.
http://www.cruisecritic.com/images/p...eliberty01.jpg

Yes, we'll always have Bayonne.

You got me there.:D However, in 1965, I did man the rails on the flight deck of a carrier passing under the Golden Gate Bridge as it headed for the Tonkin Gulf and wondering..."What the he** did I get myself into?":p

Dan_ref Wed Nov 28, 2007 07:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Best thing about that place, it's the perfect place to move if you ever find out that you only have a month to live. It'll only be a month, but it'll feel like a freakin' eternity!

Funny.

My sister-in-law used to live in Springfield MA.

You ever been to Springfield?? Now *there's* a place to go if you want to experience a freakin' eternity...

Nevadaref Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Funny.

My sister-in-law used to live in Springfield MA.

You ever been to Springfield?? Now *there's* a place to go if you want to experience a freakin' eternity...

You wouldn't be taking a shot at Bhuck Elics now would you? ;)