The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Yelling following a dunk

ESPN just switched over to the UCLA/MD game following the end of the LSU/OSU contest.
Shortly after the change Josh Shipp from UCLA made a dunk and then turned around and let out a yell prior to heading back up the floor. He yelled near an opponent, and I initially thought that it was aimed at him, but after seeing the replay it appears that the opponent was only there by happenstance and that Shipp didn't really care about him.
The official immediately whacked him.

At first I thought that it was a great T. Even after seeing the replay, I still didn't mind the T being given for his actions. However, ESPN then went back and showed an earlier dunk from the same game by MD's James Gist. Obviously I had not seen this play due to the telecast changing over from the other game. It turns out that Gist actually gave a very similar yell following his dunk and was not Td for it. I now believe that Shipp's action was done in response to Gist's.

My point is that after seeing what had been the first dunk, I was less than pleased with the crew's lack of consistency in this matter. Goes to show how observing a prior situation in a game can alter one's view of a later play.

Thoughts? Comments?
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the same thing. I did not have the volumn turned up nor did I see the earlier dunk. Initially I thought it was a great call. But now hearing about the earlier play I agree with you. I did see they have called a few 'palming' violations and offensive player control foul for hooking the densive player.

Also I was not too impressed with Ed Hightower in the earlier game (LSU vs Oaklahoma State). I felt he called a few phantom travels late in the game.
One question I do have if you Tivo'ed the game. At 6:03 remaining there was a fouled called against Oaklahoma State. LSU deflected the passed ball and then there was a foul. I did not believe LSU had controlled the ball before the foul. LSU ended up shooting free throws. I thought it was a team control foul. Help me out if you can.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, I didn't record the game, but if the play happened as you describe, then indeed it should have been a team-control foul and the crew probably just lost track of the situation. In my opinion, that is a tough one to get right because your focus changes and you forget what took place immediately prior.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 09:53pm
Never Stop Learning

Didn't see any of this but in reply to the tech. If they might have missed the first one would you not call the second one just to be consistent? That would just make two missed calls.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Didn't see any of this but in reply to the tech. If they might have missed the first one would you not call the second one just to be consistent? That would just make two missed calls.
Ed, that's a good comment. If the officials were to say that they simply missed the first call, then that is an explanation with which I would not have a problem and any coach would have to simply accept.

Furthermore, I would never advocate purposely failing to penalize a rule infraction because an earlier call was missed. As you note, two wrongs don't make a righht.

However, it is important for officials to have good game awareness and be cognizant of what plays have occurred and what decisions have been made so far in a contest. Regarding the grey area of unsporting behavior which involves a great deal of discretion and judgment, my position is that once a crew sets the standard for behavior in game that it should be consistently applied throughout.

It seems that UCLA has a legitimate case that it wasn't in this game.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Ed, that's a good comment. If the officials were to say that they simply missed the first call, then that is an explanation with which I would not have a problem and any coach would have to simply accept.

Furthermore, I would never advocate purposely failing to penalize a rule infraction because an earlier call was missed. As you note, two wrongs don't make a righht.

However, it is important for officials to have good game awareness and be cognizant of what plays have occurred and what decisions have been made so far in a contest. Regarding the grey area of unsporting behavior which involves a great deal of discretion and judgment, my position is that once a crew sets the standard for behavior in game that it should be consistently applied throughout.

It seems that UCLA has a legitimate case that it wasn't in this game.
So in the name of consistency this player has a free pass to yell like this because they let the first one go?

geeze...

I would bet it happened something like this:

Player yells on dunk
Official quietly tells him to knock it off
Player yells on dunk
Official T's him.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
So in the name of consistency this player has a free pass to yell like this because they let the first one go?

geeze...

Player yells on dunk
Player yells on dunk
Official T's him.
So you're advocating warning one player on one team and T-ing another player on the other team without the warning?
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
So you're advocating warning one player on one team and T-ing another player on the other team without the warning?
Maybe.

Certainly better than giving the players a free pass for the day.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

geeze...

Player yells on dunk
Player yells on dunk
Official T's him.
Agreed. Or maybe the conversation that the officials had during a time-out was something like this: "Hey fellas, I think I missed a taunt after the last dunk. We aren't missing the next one."
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Is it possible that the T was not for taunting but for the specific words used?

Maybe Gist yelled, "Hallelujah!" and Shipp yelled, "#$%^#"?

Maybe Gist yelled "AAAAAAAH" and Shipp yelled, "In your face, Gist"?