The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Two questions.
1-Is the top of, or part of the backboard out of bounds. I know if the ball hits the shot clock it is out, but what if it doesn't.
2-Would a shot up through the basket that goes above the rim then back through count as 2 points.
We've had both of these occur in a Sunday 35 and over league and nobody can agree on the proper calls. Thanks
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by miamiu20 on 02-07-2000 09:10 AM
1-Is the top of, or part of the backboard out of bounds[?]

2-Would a shot up through the basket that goes above the rim then back through count as 2 points[?]

1 - Of the six sides of the backboard, the only one that is out of bounds is the back.

2 - No. I don't have my book with me, so I can't cite the rule number, but it is a violation to cause the ball to enter the rim from below.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Todd is right, as for the backboard only the back is out of bounds, however if the ball passes over the top of the backboard (rectangelar) it is OOB. If over a fan shaped board it's nothing.
However if the ball touchs any supporting brace of the backboard, or any thing else such as the shot clock, the ball is OOB.

As for the ball going thru the basket from below, it's a violation on the last team who touched the ball, other teams ball near the basket. If both teams touched the ball at the same time or if the official didn't get a good look at who last touched the ball, you go to the possesion arrow.