The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching a College game this weekend.
Player A1 drives the lane, releases the ball, then makes contact with player B1 taking a Charge. The Ref counts the basket, then has B1 Shoot one and one down the other end.
I thought this was a Player Control Foul and no shots except for the Ball. Plus would the basket count in NFHS rules. Please help me on this one.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DrC. on 02-07-2000 11:46 AM
I was watching a College game this weekend.
Player A1 drives the lane, releases the ball, then makes contact with player B1 taking a Charge. The Ref counts the basket, then has B1 Shoot one and one down the other end.
I thought this was a Player Control Foul and no shots except for the Ball. Plus would the basket count in NFHS rules. Please help me on this one.

This is one place where the NFHS and NCAA rules differ (and in this instance, for men only in NCAA).

In NFHS, the player would be considered an "airborn shooter" and his foul, even after releasing the ball but before returning to the floor, is a player control foul. No basket, award the ball to Team B out of bounds at the spot nearest the foul.

In NCAA men's play, there is no "airborn shooter" rule. After a player releases the ball on a pass or shot, he is no longer liable to commit a "player control foul." Any foul by such a player is a "common foul" and the penalty is enforced accordingly.

Note: In NCAA women's play, the rule is the same as NFHS.