The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 03:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Bob:

Why would the officials in those areas want to advertise the fact they are coming onto the court so that the players can stop dunking? Nothing is for fun than to walk onto the court just as a player dunks that ball and to see his face when he sees you and he knows that you have caught him dunking and that he is going to get whacked. Sounding one's whistle takes on of the few and small pleasures out of officiating the game.

MTD, Sr.
Mark, have you been taking Padgett's meds?
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 04:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
oh... my bad?
Understandable, it was very dry humor.

Very dry.

More dry than humorous.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

As a coach, I get on the PA microphone and clear my throat right before the jumpball to notify the officials that the game is about to start and that I will be yelling at them for all the fabricated fouls and travels they call on my team and all obvious fouls and travels they do not call against the other team. It's not in the book, I just do it as a courtesy to the officials to notify them that I am ready to go.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

And as I discovered last night, the home crowd takes up where you left off. You can just feel the love
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
No malice intended. I had never seen it done so I wanted to be sure it was correct and I could not find it in the book. We are taught to listen to experienced officials and then followup with rules reference. If that is what our chapter has asked us to do; that is what we will do. Apparently Dallas also follows this recommendation. Since it is my first year, I dont think this will be much of a problem in the games I will be calling.... except for that female 6-4 Soph from Nimitz.... but I am not calling their games
I called Nimitz last night...it won't be a problem. They got the arse handed to them by Haltom (25-0 run to start the game)...lead was 35 most of the night. Haltom won by 36.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Some jazzed up version of Three Blind Mice?
My favorite has been RFK stadium this past season. They would play the Law & Order theme song when the umpiring crew came out onto the field.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Duck
I called Nimitz last night...it won't be a problem. They got the arse handed to them by Haltom (25-0 run to start the game)...lead was 35 most of the night. Haltom won by 36.
Splute was referring to the Nimitz Girls Basketball team in Houston who has a 6'5" player that can dunk.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Splute was referring to the Nimitz Girls Basketball team in Houston who has a 6'5" player that can dunk.
Ahh...different Nimitz...that explains a lot.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I had an official tell me that when you and your partner take the floor, you are supposed to blow your whistle. I was told it is in the officials manual, but have not been able to locate it. Is this standard practice?

Ain't happening in Central or Southern Illinois.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

I've heard of this practice in TX.

Last year a team from TX attended the Christmas tournament of one of our local school's. As the officials were walking under the basket at one end and taking the floor a TX kid did a two-hand slam. He got Td. The coach told the crew that in TX the officials blow the whistle when taking the floor down there for this very reason. Apparently dunk season is open until that whistle sounds. As a courtesy our officials gave them a whistle prior to each of their remaining tournament games. It brought a smile.

Dunk season, Wabbit season, Dunk season, ...
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Duck
I will try again,
Odd Duck,
Do you officiate in Irving?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
coaches to teach their kids not to dunk during warmups
The coaches tell their kids, "the refs won't let us dunk" and so that takes them off the hook.

Its been done for years in Texas, not just in the DFW area. Mostly boys games but our R did it the other night for a girls game. I only do it as an R for 1) a boys game and 2) in an arena where they can't immediately see we are there. Its neither right nor wrong, just a courtesy to the players, in my view.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 04:13pm
Administrator

Having the R sounds his whistle is the stupidist and most idiotic thing I have ever heard of, not to mentioin it is not sanctioned in the NFHS Officials Manual. The players and coaches know that they are not to dunk a dead ball. If they are stupid enough to dunk a dead ball and be caught by the officials too bad. I don't plan on moving to Texas, but if I did, no partner of mine would be sounding his whistle as we entered the court. I would take his whistle from him and would not give it to him until just before the start of the game. This mechanic is just a lot of nonsense because some officials are afraid to do their job and more importantly, too many coaches will not do their job.

And no I don't look for players dunking the ball. I have called exactly three pre-game dunking technical fouls in 38 years of officiating high school basketball. The first two were during jr. varsity games when the officials had to be on the court thiry (30) minutes (that's right 30 min for you youngins out there) and a varsity game about ten (10) years ago. Each time the player was dunking the ball as we walked onto the court. The look on their faces was the look of a deer getting caught in the glare of a car's headlights. In the two JV games, the head coach of the offending team was standing under the basket while his team was doing its pre-game layups, and was watching his players dunking the ball. The varsity game was better, the assistant coaches were on the court watching the players warm up while the head coach was still in the locker room because he didn't like to come out onto the court until just before the starters were announced. All of his assistants were afraid to go tell him about his indirect technical foul and that he had lost the coaching box for the entire game before it had even started.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Wow ..5 pages to an item that has its detractors and supporters. The NF officials manual is not gospel. Many states have their own rules for their officials to follow. In Texas, for example, the approved coaching box is 6 feet long, we don't do long switches on fouls in the backcourt, and also Texas decided to keep the Time out positions at the top of the key, and the low block, for 30 and 60 second time outs, respectively.

So, if this is a bunch of renegade Texans, I guess I'm a renegade...but I'll still get Varsity assignments doing what out State association tells us to do.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Wow ..5 pages to an item that has its detractors and supporters. The NF officials manual is not gospel. Many states have their own rules for their officials to follow. In Texas, for example, the approved coaching box is 6 feet long, we don't do long switches on fouls in the backcourt, and also Texas decided to keep the Time out positions at the top of the key, and the low block, for 30 and 60 second time outs, respectively.

So, if this is a bunch of renegade Texans, I guess I'm a renegade...but I'll still get Varsity assignments doing what out State association tells us to do.
True... and to get those assignments one must be a certified TASO official... and to be a TASO official one must call per the exceptions lists as outlined by TASO. I do not mind the exceptions, nor will I mind blowing my whistle upon entering the court if that is protocol. I am surprised this thread has received so much attention... although some of the jokes were pretty good. Just dont group us with Kansas.... Just kidding