The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

I am wanting to confirm I am reading the rule correctly. All front court throw ins will be administered by tooting the whistle first. I was under the impression that the new rule was put in place to follow the womens college mechanics where it was only from the lead on the endline. Which is correct?

Also our trainer was telling us that the trail on a throw in by the lead staying in the front court chops the clock and the lead merely counts 5 seconds. Also womens mechanics I thought the lead counted and chopped and the trail mirrored the chop for the scores table purpose mainly?

Thanks....
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Are you talking about FED? I haven't heard that any of those things will be adopted by FED. Could be wrong, tho.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, NFHS

Yes, these are both new this season. Along with going table side for fouls and back to the no long switch on back court to front court fouls.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Dan, you heard anything like this from Edgar?
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Pulled from NFHS site

The below was pulled from NFHS website. We have praticed all I have mentioned at the camps I attended this summer. As it says the change has been made but won't be reflected in officials manual till its reprinted.

Major Officials Manual Change

(NOTE: The NFHS Officials Manual is not being edited this year; however, the Basketball Rules Committee made the following change, which will be reflected in the 2005-07 edition.)
The foul calling official in a three-person crew will go tableside after calling the foul to enhance communication with coaches and the scorer’s table.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Self
I am wanting to confirm I am reading the rule correctly. All front court throw ins will be administered by tooting the whistle first. I was under the impression that the new rule was put in place to follow the womens college mechanics where it was only from the lead on the endline. Which is correct?

Also our trainer was telling us that the trail on a throw in by the lead staying in the front court chops the clock and the lead merely counts 5 seconds. Also womens mechanics I thought the lead counted and chopped and the trail mirrored the chop for the scores table purpose mainly?

Thanks....
Self,

Where are you getting this info? I went to our state's 3-person NFHS camp this summer and there was no mention of the "pre-throw-in whistle" nor mirroring the chop. Tableside yes, but where did you get that other stuff?

Z
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Georgia

I guess it is just with GHSA and not NFHS. I thought it was funny I could not find this info anywhere. We are basically going straight womens college mechanis with a few variations and the two I mentioned might be them. I wll have to get with our GHSA office
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

I'm from Georgia and I was told these same things. Trail mirrors the chop in the front court and lead blows the whistle before every throw in (in the front court).

I have been chopping in but I haven't been blowing the whistle every time.

I thought this was new for NFHS but I haven't seen anything written. Maybe it's just GHSA. I'll find out.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Alright, it seems that these are new for Georgia b\c we are using Women's college mechanics for Georgia HS this year.

I'm guessing that this is Kevin that started this thread , am I right?