The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

All alone, I am I am

I experienced my first 1-person game(s) Saturday. I had one floor (JV) and my partner had the Varsity floor. Fortunately it was only a boys scrimmage. It was a good experience. I felt it was a crash course in officiating, because I was responsible for everything. I had to watch On ball, off ball, subs, clock, proper reporting, etc. It really made me see my strengths and weaknesses in a very short time. Not to mention it will lessen my fear of working alone in regular season situations. I wouldnt want to do this again anytime soon, but I do recommend everyone experience it at least once. One team had apparently been coached to take charges... everytime the dribble drove to the basket they would scream and fall. After the third time of not getting a call, one player asked what he was doing wrong.... I said nothing, thats why there is no call. Had my first bleeder; lip and was wiping it on his jersey.... I appreciate all the help from this site.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 12:14pm
PYRef

At least you got your excersie for the day!
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 12:37pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I experienced my first 1-person game(s) Saturday. I had one floor (JV) and my partner had the Varsity floor. Fortunately it was only a boys scrimmage. It was a good experience. I felt it was a crash course in officiating, because I was responsible for everything. I had to watch On ball, off ball, subs, clock, proper reporting, etc. It really made me see my strengths and weaknesses in a very short time. Not to mention it will lessen my fear of working alone in regular season situations. I wouldnt want to do this again anytime soon, but I do recommend everyone experience it at least once. One team had apparently been coached to take charges... everytime the dribble drove to the basket they would scream and fall. After the third time of not getting a call, one player asked what he was doing wrong.... I said nothing, thats why there is no call. Had my first bleeder; lip and was wiping it on his jersey.... I appreciate all the help from this site.
Cool story. You'll have another in your career, I'm sure.

Curious how you were watching foul reporting while you were doing foul reporting?
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
At least you got your excersie for the day!
Jes, I feeeeeeellllll it today
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Cool story. You'll have another in your career, I'm sure.

Curious how you were watching foul reporting while you were doing foul reporting?
You know, role playing, pretending I was my partner, watching me, watching my partner, watch me...
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
You know, role playing, pretending I was my partner, watching me, watching my partner, watch me...
I'll get Padgett to send you some meds...
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Hee hee, so I have already progressed to meds.... and the season hasnt even started
I will add that it was nice that the fans and (for the most part) coaches, were very calm during all the games. That surprised me. Guess they felt sorry for me
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 01:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Why? That sounds perfectly normal to me.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 03:49pm
MeRef

Quote:
My question is why you would even step on the court without a partner? My guess is you picked up more bad habits than good ones, such as poor location (to see the whole court), watching the ball the whole time, etc. If my partner is not there, there is no game.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeRef
My question is why you would even step on the court without a partner? My guess is you picked up more bad habits than good ones, such as poor location (to see the whole court), watching the ball the whole time, etc. If my partner is not there, there is no game.
You do what you gotta do. Let see you have two teams, parents, table workers, gym open, paying for custodians, paying for security, concession stand open etc. etc. and you don't have a partner you won't do the game. You won't be working much if you do that. You do the game. You'll be paid extra, they can't yell at you, (if they do say hey I'm by myself I didn't see it)if the ball goes out of bounds ask the players who it went off of. They normally fess up. If they don't go to the arrow. It's a piece of cake (most of the time).
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know any assignors that will work with someone on this basis. If they know I won't work without a partner, I won't get games at all. period. Partners don't show. It happens. Ya just gotta do the best you can, and coaches, fans, players have to accept it.

I'm guessing you either don't ref at all or haven't reffed very long.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 04:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
If my partner is not there, there is no game.
MeRef, that won't work around here. If my partner is not there, the only option is Me Ref.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 04:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I don't know any assignors that will work with someone on this basis. If they know I won't work without a partner, I won't get games at all. period. Partners don't show. It happens. Ya just gotta do the best you can, and coaches, fans, players have to accept it.
Agree. As Gordon said, you do what you gotta do.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Agree. As Gordon said, you do what you gotta do.
Whew. I finally got one right. I've done a lot of games alone, and it's a challenge, but that's because it's the best thing to do, not because it's wrong.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 04:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
There might not be a game, but there are likely consequences to that decision. And that position is not a very realistic or experienced point of view. Now I would want to delay as much as possible, but the reality is if you are assigned a game, you work no matter who shows up.

Peace