The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   All alone, I am I am (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39530-all-alone-i-am-i-am.html)

Splute Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:03am

All alone, I am I am

I experienced my first 1-person game(s) Saturday. I had one floor (JV) and my partner had the Varsity floor. Fortunately it was only a boys scrimmage. It was a good experience. I felt it was a crash course in officiating, because I was responsible for everything. I had to watch On ball, off ball, subs, clock, proper reporting, etc. It really made me see my strengths and weaknesses in a very short time. Not to mention it will lessen my fear of working alone in regular season situations. I wouldnt want to do this again anytime soon, but I do recommend everyone experience it at least once. :) One team had apparently been coached to take charges... everytime the dribble drove to the basket they would scream and fall. After the third time of not getting a call, one player asked what he was doing wrong.... I said nothing, thats why there is no call. Had my first bleeder; lip and was wiping it on his jersey.... I appreciate all the help from this site.

PYRef Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:14pm

At least you got your excersie for the day!:D

JugglingReferee Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute
I experienced my first 1-person game(s) Saturday. I had one floor (JV) and my partner had the Varsity floor. Fortunately it was only a boys scrimmage. It was a good experience. I felt it was a crash course in officiating, because I was responsible for everything. I had to watch On ball, off ball, subs, clock, proper reporting, etc. It really made me see my strengths and weaknesses in a very short time. Not to mention it will lessen my fear of working alone in regular season situations. I wouldnt want to do this again anytime soon, but I do recommend everyone experience it at least once. :) One team had apparently been coached to take charges... everytime the dribble drove to the basket they would scream and fall. After the third time of not getting a call, one player asked what he was doing wrong.... I said nothing, thats why there is no call. Had my first bleeder; lip and was wiping it on his jersey.... I appreciate all the help from this site.

Cool story. You'll have another in your career, I'm sure.

Curious how you were watching foul reporting while you were doing foul reporting? :confused: :D

Splute Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYRef
At least you got your excersie for the day!:D

Jes, I feeeeeeellllll it today:eek:

Splute Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Cool story. You'll have another in your career, I'm sure.

Curious how you were watching foul reporting while you were doing foul reporting? :confused: :D

You know, role playing, pretending I was my partner, watching me, watching my partner, watch me... :D

rainmaker Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:46pm

Quote:

You know, role playing, pretending I was my partner, watching me, watching my partner, watch me... :D

I'll get Padgett to send you some meds...:D

Splute Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker

Hee hee, so I have already progressed to meds.... and the season hasnt even started:)
I will add that it was nice that the fans and (for the most part) coaches, were very calm during all the games. That surprised me. Guess they felt sorry for me:D

Mark Padgett Sun Nov 11, 2007 01:35pm

Quote:

Why? That sounds perfectly normal to me. :p

MeRef Sun Nov 11, 2007 03:49pm

Quote:

My question is why you would even step on the court without a partner? My guess is you picked up more bad habits than good ones, such as poor location (to see the whole court), watching the ball the whole time, etc. If my partner is not there, there is no game.

gordon30307 Sun Nov 11, 2007 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeRef
My question is why you would even step on the court without a partner? My guess is you picked up more bad habits than good ones, such as poor location (to see the whole court), watching the ball the whole time, etc. If my partner is not there, there is no game.

You do what you gotta do. Let see you have two teams, parents, table workers, gym open, paying for custodians, paying for security, concession stand open etc. etc. and you don't have a partner you won't do the game. You won't be working much if you do that. You do the game. You'll be paid extra, they can't yell at you, (if they do say hey I'm by myself I didn't see it)if the ball goes out of bounds ask the players who it went off of. They normally fess up. If they don't go to the arrow. It's a piece of cake (most of the time).:D

rainmaker Sun Nov 11, 2007 04:07pm

Quote:

I don't know any assignors that will work with someone on this basis. If they know I won't work without a partner, I won't get games at all. period. Partners don't show. It happens. Ya just gotta do the best you can, and coaches, fans, players have to accept it.

I'm guessing you either don't ref at all or haven't reffed very long.

Mark Padgett Sun Nov 11, 2007 04:17pm

Quote:

If my partner is not there, there is no game.

MeRef, that won't work around here. If my partner is not there, the only option is Me Ref. :D

Jurassic Referee Sun Nov 11, 2007 04:29pm

Quote:

I don't know any assignors that will work with someone on this basis. If they know I won't work without a partner, I won't get games at all. period. Partners don't show. It happens. Ya just gotta do the best you can, and coaches, fans, players have to accept it.

Agree. As Gordon said, you do what you gotta do.

rainmaker Sun Nov 11, 2007 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Agree. As Gordon said, you do what you gotta do.

Whew. I finally got one right. I've done a lot of games alone, and it's a challenge, but that's because it's the best thing to do, not because it's wrong.

JRutledge Sun Nov 11, 2007 04:37pm

Quote:

There might not be a game, but there are likely consequences to that decision. And that position is not a very realistic or experienced point of view. Now I would want to delay as much as possible, but the reality is if you are assigned a game, you work no matter who shows up.

Peace