The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Can the shooter rebound it?

One of the guys I play with always calls me on this.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Yes.

If, in the opinion of the calling official, it was a shot attempt (try) and not a pass or a fumble, it can be recovered by the shooter without penalty. (S)he can even dribble again, 'cause the try effectively reset everything.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I should ruffle feathers by proclaiming that this is REALLY not a violation if it happens again. But it's nice to know.

Thanks for the info.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by JP1976
I'm not sure I should ruffle feathers by proclaiming that this is REALLY not a violation if it happens again. But it's nice to know.

Thanks for the info.
If is happens again? You're a better shooter than that. It was just a fluke that you shot an airball in the first place.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 03:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Actually, you should be clear when you play as to what level of rules you are adopting. This is a violation in NBA.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Fumble, If it is a fumble, you may also recover the ball.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

It's really kind of disappointing that it's even being called at all. This is a very informal group. And it's always the same guy calling it. No one else.

Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Just to Clarify...

If a shooter catches his own shot (try) with both hands, he can legally dribble again. If a player fumbles the ball and recovers the fumble with both hands, it's also legal, but he cannot dribble again. If he recovers a fumble by continuing the dribble with just one hand, that's legal and play continues.

At least that's how I would whistle things.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

JAdams, Dribble, fumbles trying to PU ball(touches with both hands), continue drible. Are you saying he can continue to drible as long as it is with one hand?

[Edited by Bart Tyson on Jan 30th, 2002 at 05:01 PM]
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

I with you Bart, that is a double dribble if he recommences the dribble. He can dribble, attempt to pick up but fumble, and then pick up - no more dribbling allowed. As a guard, I would have fumbled a lot!!
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SHellmueller Send a message via AIM to SHellmueller
Fumblerooski

Just to be very clear here, I assume we are talking about a player who has already used his dribble! After all, if he still has the dribble available, he can fumble as much as he likes, then pick it up and dribble.

By the way, do any of you give a signal, either hand or audible, that the ball has been fumbled rather than dribbled? Sometimes I think this might "explain" the reason for my not calling a double dribble on a fumble play. Not that I should have to ever explain ANY call I make.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 07:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
JAdams, Dribble, fumbles trying to PU ball(touches with both hands), continue drible. Are you saying he can continue to drible as long as it is with one hand?

[Edited by Bart Tyson on Jan 30th, 2002 at 05:01 PM]
Bart,I don't think he mentioned touching the ball with both hands when he tried to retrieve the fumble.I think he is trying to describe an interrupted dribble,instead.If that is correct,he is correct.I'm just guessing,but I think that's what he means.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

The rules related to fumbling clearly mean the two-handed act of fumbling, not interrupted dribble (I know you know that Jurassic). How you retrieve the fumble is of no consequence. J adams post clearly differentiates not by what occurred before the fumble or even how the ball was fumbled, but what happened after.

Quote:
Originally posted by JAdams
If a player fumbles the ball and recovers the fumble with both hands, it's also legal, but he cannot dribble again. If he recovers a fumble by continuing the dribble with just one hand, that's legal and play continues.
If you have not used your dribble prior to fumbling, you can retrieve the fumble with one or two hands and you still have a dribble. If you first dribble then fumble, you can retrieve, i.e. hold, with one or two hands, but you cannot resume the dribble regardless. One-handed vs two-handed retrieval is always irrelevant.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct, I just assumed he touched it with both hands. SHellmueller, I wonder what kind of signal we could think up for a muff. I could see a problem with this, kind of like, shot gets block and one official does the O hands up and brushing of the hands signal telling everyone the shot was tipped by the def. and the other official calls a foul.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Clarification on My Part

Guess I messed up the definition of a fumble (vs. an interrupted dribble). My post above attempted to describe a situation when a player was dribbling the ball, lost contol of it, the resumed his dribble without catching (or touching) the ball with both hands. Guess this is termed an interrupted dribble. If, in fact, a fumble means losing control after touching the ball with both hands, then it's clear to me that a player could not touch it again or resume the dribble. Sorry for the confusion of terminology above.