The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

The other night a coach had the table post the total fouls instead of stopping at ten. The visiting coach was not happy to say the least. The officials instructed the table to return the count to ten and they complied. The coach said there is not a rule that says all the fouls cannot be posted. Help!!!
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Well, there is no rule, it is just usually done as to not embarass any teams.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

This coach and others have done it to send a message to the officials.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 02:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Rule or no rule..............

it is the responsiblity of the official to be in charge. The coaches are not in charge of the table, you are. And sense there is no need to list fouls above 10, you have them stop there.

Hell do not listen to coaches anyway, they think "over the back" should be called.

Enough said about that.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Tell the scorer to stop at 10 fouls. This is not just a ploy by a coach to embarrass the other team, it could be used as another excuse by the coach to whine about the disparity in fouls called.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

I was just answering the guy's question, there is no rule that covers this.

But, I guess this is not that importnat to me to get all worked up over. If the home team says they always do it, then what do I care. If they whine extra hard, then I'll put a little more air in my fox on the T. I have too much else to worry about on the floor than this. If it does bother you though, you are the one in charge, tell the table how you want it done. If the coach doesn't like it, they break out the old elasticity rule...
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 03:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Tell this howler monkey clown that the official score in the book will continue to post fouls, but that the scoreboard is not official and is there only for convenience in indicating the game situation. Since the only consideration for posting fouls in the first place on the board is for the purpose of relating to the various bonus situations, and since that situation does not change after 10 fouls, there is no need to continue to show more on the board and you are not going to allow it. Besides, the scorekeepers are part of the officiating crew and they take their orders from you, not some simian.

If he objects, puke on his shoes and stuff his banana back up his nose.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

I did a poor job of asking the question. I believe it is in the best interest of the game for many reasons we only post 10 fouls. I have and will continue to do so. I wanted to know if the rules specifically gave me the authority to instruct the table personnel or do I need that from elasticity. This is a difficult situation for the table who are employed and paid by the home team coach.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fisherj
... I wanted to know if the rules specifically gave me the authority to instruct the table personnel...
Yes the rules do say you are in charge of the table, and they serve at your pleasure. If you want them to stop at 10, then that is waht they should do, and the reason is becasue you said so.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

10 fouls

NFHS stresses "good sportsmanship". By a coach wanting to display all fouls, to me, shows a lack of sportsmanship on his/her part.

[Edited by a.f.sports on Jan 30th, 2002 at 03:20 PM]
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

I will also add my two cents... I think all the scorebooks I have seen stop at 10 team fouls. (Mark help out here) but I'll bet the home team scorebook does not mark down more than 10 fouls.

While there is not a rule that states "Only put 10 on the board" , There are times when common sense rules and this is one of them. We really dont need a rule for everything do we?

there are a couple of things...

We only count team fouls to determine level of penalty (so if they want more on the board they are outside the realm of game management and fundamental rules) . The rules state 10 team fouls. There is no bonus prize if they get 20, 25, 30.

Brian you are right that we have a lot to worry about but you should care about good game management. What I wonder... what else will the coach try and pull.

If we take the attitude not on my watch it may not happen!. If the coach wants to keep track, he can have the peanut gallery do it from the cheap seats.

Besides if you think about it 10 is the largest number we have to count to, (team fouls and backcourt) and we only speak in one syllable colors. Ten keeps it simple for us, I think I might tell the coach I can only count to 10 and I'm sure you dont want me taking of my shoes to be able to count higher than 10!
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

The coach who requested the fouls be posted had 14 on his team and the visitors had 3. The action was directed at the officials.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by fisherj
The coach who requested the fouls be posted had 14 on his team and the visitors had 3. The action was directed at the officials.
In that case, he should teach his kids how to play defense with their feet and not with their hands.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

[b]This is a difficult situation for the table who are employed and paid by the home team coach./[b]

I am employed and paid by the home team also but I don't have a problem calling fouls or violations against them.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
This is a difficult situation for the table who are employed and paid by the home team coach.

I am employed and paid by the home team also but I don't have a problem calling fouls or violations against them.
WOW! You're table officials are paid!?!

Table officials are part of the officiating team.
The home coach is not their boss.
The referee is.
in my games, the scoreboard count stops at 10.

Kelvin, I have never seen a scoreboard that goes no higher than 10.
Most will go as high as 19.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith