The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   # of games? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39498-games.html)

loners4me Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:33am

# of games?

How many games do you officiate in a year? I just counted my schedule (note I do fifth grade girls - JV ball). My first game was Aug 15. and my last game is Feb 19. I average 20 nights per month + weekend tourneys so that's about 250 games a year.

My wife loves it ..ya right. Well she likes the $$ though.

You?

PS.. I only do BB

Junker Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:44am

I cut back this year, getting rid of all but 3 lower level games (below varsity). Somehow I still ended up with 40 nights and I'm sure that will go up as I sub in for some other varsity games. Season starts tomorrow for me, I'm thinking about it already.

JRutledge Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:49am

I work 3 sports and I probably do not work 250 all season around let alone one sport.

Peace

eyezen Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:21am

Nov 1 to Feb 29

I have 45 dates, 36 HS and 9 College.

grunewar Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:25am

I do two local rec leagues and sub-varsity. I look to have ~ 65 scheduled.

Splute Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:32am

Currently schedule for 30 dates (2 games per date) from Nov 28th till Dec 20th, I will receive additional dates starting Dec 2nd for remainder of season. and NO the wife is NOT onboard.... heavy sigh. And you mean we get paid for this?!?! :)

JugglingReferee Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by loners4me
How many games do you officiate in a year? I just counted my schedule (note I do fifth grade girls - JV ball). My first game was Aug 15. and my last game is Feb 19. I average 20 nights per month + weekend tourneys so that's about 250 games a year.

My wife loves it ..ya right. Well she likes the $$ though.

You?

PS.. I only do BB

Let me think here.

8 weeks of League 1 = 10-14 games + playoffs for 3 more = 13-17 total.
8 weeks of League 2 = 5-6 games + playoffs = 6-7 total.
6 weeks of League 3 = 12-15 games + playoffs = 13-16 total.
8 weeks of League 4 = 6 games. No playoffs yet. :(
8 weeks of League 5 = 8 games. Maybe some playoffs. 10 total.

All in all, about 48 to 58 games. That's for football.

Basketball, about 4 x 10 = 40.

Coltdoggs Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:38am

I mainly do rec, AAU, travel from 5th -8th...There is a hoops facility that runs house leagues that are made up of AAU teams and travel teams...I get some HS level games there...

In my main rec league, we start the second week of January and the tournament ends in mid March...I did 82 games there in that time span....Had about another 5-10 games from their travel program. I took about a month off then started at the hoops facility working on Sat and/or Sunday afternoons...I've probably done about 150-160 games in 2007...

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:39am

I do football, basketball, softball, and track...between all those, I would say I do about 200 days/nights of some type of game/event. I'm not counting individual games, because slow-pitch softball tournaments usually throws me about 6-10 games on a day alone.

Adam Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute
Currently schedule for 30 dates (2 games per date) from Nov 28th till Dec 20th, I will receive additional dates starting Dec 2nd for remainder of season. and NO the wife is NOT onboard.... heavy sigh. And you mean we get paid for this?!?! :)

Now, I was only a math major for one disastrous semester, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to have 30 dates scheduled between 11-28 and 12-20.

My calendar shows me there's only 25 days there.

Splute Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:25pm

You need a new calender, eehhh?:rolleyes: Hum, me needs to restate... 15 dates; 30 games.... ya thats the ticket. Glad to see you read the posts... :) Plus the Upwards League basketball at church for 9-Saturdays starting Dec 15th (probably 5 games, but only 6th grade & below). Better??:D

Adam Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:27pm

:)

I thought we might be dealing with Kansas math there for a minute.

rockyroad Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:35pm

Just a pet peeve of mine, but who really cares how many games anyone else works?? Is this just for conversation sake, or are we comparing schedules - you know, the old "I have 48 Varsity games. How many do you have?" kind of thing...cause if that's what this is, that really bugs me!!

Splute Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
:)

I thought we might be dealing with Kansas math there for a minute.

again, you cut me to the bone!:p Perhaps Kansas.... Texas just sound the same to you?:cool: NOT... yeeee haaaa :)

Splute Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
Just a pet peeve of mine, but who really cares how many games anyone else works?? Is this just for conversation sake, or are we comparing schedules - you know, the old "I have 48 Varsity games. How many do you have?" kind of thing...cause if that's what this is, that really bugs me!!

I didnt take this post that way, Rocky. But I suppose you can read into it what you will. Seemed like Sunday afternoon conversation to me. I dont think most people on this site really gives a Rat tootie what level the others call. We just like to compare notes on unusual game sits and rulings. jmo;)