The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 01:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I dont think most people on this site really gives a Rat tootie what level the others call.
And I don't think that most people on this site really give a rat's patootie about how many games anybody calls either. Be that as it may though, to each their own. Those who care can respond. Those who don't can ignore.

Ob-la-di
Ob-la-da
Life goes on, bra
Lalalala life goes on.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 01:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
.... that really bugs me!!
If you ain't a sisyphus, does that mean that you're a pusillanimous?
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 02:23pm
M.A.S.H.

Currently, 32 scheduled games (with 1 down). Looking forward to an exciting and fun season. My schedule gets fully underway during Turkey week.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 02:32pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I didnt take this post that way, Rocky. But I suppose you can read into it what you will. Seemed like Sunday afternoon conversation to me. I dont think most people on this site really gives a Rat tootie what level the others call. We just like to compare notes on unusual game sits and rulings. jmo
Concur - It's also interesting for me to read how other refs talk about how their spouse reacts to their often aggressive schedule.....I know between my reffing schedule and attending my son's games (read - asst coach, score keeper, clock, gym coordinator, whatever....) etc., it often gets pretty tense around my house this time of yr.....

I can only imagine what it's like to those who do 100+ games a yr......
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

68 Total
59 HS
09 College
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

During the "off season" I average between 15-20 games a week...March-November...36 weeks = 540-720 games, most likely around 600 or so.

In season I'll normally do around 50 or so HS games, another 100 or so MS or youth games.

So 750 seems about right.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

My schedule is pretty open right now, but I try to do at least one game per week if not two or three. I'm doing mainly HS (Frosh, JV and Varsity) as well as some JH boys/girls. (My JH girls league is in the Fall.) I have some JV/Varsity doubles...so that'd be two games in one night. So...I'd say about 50 or so.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 04:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
During the "off season" I average between 15-20 games a week...March-November...36 weeks = 540-720 games, most likely around 600 or so.

In season I'll normally do around 50 or so HS games, another 100 or so MS or youth games.

So 750 seems about right.
While I miss the idea of off-season basketball. That's too much for me. I couldn't afford the child-support payments that would come with that kind of schedule.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
While I miss the idea of off-season basketball. That's too much for me. I couldn't afford the child-support payments that would come with that kind of schedule.
Thats what I was thinking... LOL

just a rough estimate.. if he gets... lets say $30 a game...

Thats $22500 a year.. thats some peoples anual income.

So I guess if you are doing that ammount of games you can afford the child support.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
Thats what I was thinking... LOL

just a rough estimate.. if he gets... lets say $30 a game...

Thats $22500 a year.. thats some peoples anual income.

So I guess if you are doing that ammount of games you can afford the child support.
I dunno...with the apartment rent and his own utilities...it might be tight!
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 06:24pm
Huck Finn

Just a question, not trying to offend anyone.

Do your wives have other things for you to do or is it just the idea of being home and not being at a game?

I would like to think my situation isn't so strange. My wife knows this is something I like to do. My wife also knows I like to hang out with her - and we are together plenty. I don't know, maybe we are strange, but the basketball season isn't an issue and never has been.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 06:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun

Do your wives have other things for you to do or is it just the idea of being home and not being at a game?

I would like to think my situation isn't so strange. My wife knows this is something I like to do. My wife also knows I like to hang out with her - and we are together plenty. I don't know, maybe we are strange, but the basketball season isn't an issue and never has been.
Speaking as a single person. If the requirement to be married is to always be attached to my wife (when I come home every single night) then personally that is not a very good endorsement of being married. I would hope that you could work a game and not be at a major loss to my family. For one thing it is income, not just a good time hanging out. I hear officials all the time think I am always out in the street because I work 3 sports which is the furthest from the truth. I am home more than I work games by far in my 3 sports as compared to what I am reading here about guys who only work just basketball.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 06:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun

Legitimate questions, IMO.

My wife is the same way. She also likes the extra dollars we get from it.

However, we have two young children and she likes having me around to help with them.
But here, it's not uncommon for me to have to drive an hour each way to a game, so unless I have a single JV game in town, I'm pretty much away all evening.

Also, once a month I'm gone for a weekend for Guard duty. She really doesn't mind me reffing, but I think if I was doing 10-15 games a week all year long, it would get really old. That's the main reason I haven't picked up another sport, to be honest.

One reason we have plenty of time together, though, is the fact that I'm not working 700 games a year. I'd never see her or the kids, and I'm not really interested in that kind of lifestyle.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 06:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Speaking as a single person. If the requirement to be married is to always be attached to my wife (when I come home every single night) then personally that is not a very good endorsement of being married. I would hope that you could work a game and not be at a major loss to my family. For one thing it is income, not just a good time hanging out. I hear officials all the time think I am always out in the street because I work 3 sports which is the furthest from the truth. I am home more than I work games by far in my 3 sports as compared to what I am reading here about guys who only work just basketball.

Peace
It's not about having to be home every night. If someone needs to be home every night, this isn't the avocation they should choose.

It's about not wanting to be gone every night. We were talking about a 750 game/per year work-load. That kind of a schedule would be very hard on my family; I may as well be away on military duty as far as my kids would be concerned, as they'd be in bed most nights before I got home.

As it is now, most nights I ref, I'm home just in time to put them to bed unless my games are here in town. Yeah, I'm at least home in time to see them before they close their eyes, but I wouldn't want to do that year-round. I'm guessing I'll have fewer games in town this year as I get more varsity games, but it's only a guess.

As for the original question on this thread, I don't know my schedule yet. Our assigner will be handing the first half out next Wednesday. They do things a bit different here than I'm used to.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I do basketball almost 12 months. I do youth tournaments on weekends middle school (usually 2 games a night. frosh and JV during the week. Leagues and tournaments in the summer. I did around 300 games last year and will do about the same.