The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 10:46am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I heard that what ALberto Gonzalez was caught doing to the twinkie is now referred to as "the Patriot Act."
That's disgusting...don't post anymore disgusting stuff like that or we'll have to borrow JR's 2x4 and come visit you!
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
...Having said that, why in the world would you choose this topic as your first foray into this forum? And having done so, why would you persist in arguing it?
It does make one wonder about that. The great thing about the Internet is you can claim to be anything or anywhere.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer166
It does make one wonder about that. The great thing about the Internet is you can claim to be anything or anywhere.
I'm not claiming to be anything. This post has gone the way most go here. Soemone post something, if others think it is wrong they respond in disagreement. If the original poster continues to say he/she is right and even backs it up with rules/definitions or state interps those who said he was wrong continue to tell him so. Then others chime in and start making a joke of it. So a post can go from a legit message into a thread that becomes worthless because instead of discussing the issue some choose to attack the poster. Why does who I am have anything to do with what I post? I could be Mary Struckoff for all you know, would I be right then? or do we still listen to the veterans of the discussion board?
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD21
I could be Mary Struckoff for all you know, would I be right then?
Not necessarily.

But, in all seriousness, are you Mary Struckoff?

Quote:
or do we still listen to the veterans of the discussion board?
If you aren't, then why wouldn't people be more willing to listen to the ones that have proven their knowledge and expertise over time, as opposed to someone that just comes aboard in their first post to express a negative opinion about some of the members of this forum?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:31am
Ch1town

Quote:
or do we still listen to the veterans of the discussion board?
Veterans tend to be very wise in general & they provide rules knowledge/interps along with little tips that can't be found in rule books.
So ummm yeah I will always "listen" to 'em... without vets who would teach the next generation or should I say genration next
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Veterans tend to be very wise in general & they provide rules knowledge/interps along with little tips that can't be found in rule books.
So ummm yeah I will always "listen" to 'em... without vets who would teach the next generation or should I say genration next
I agree with you that Vets always have something to offer. But in the world of officiating age doesn't always equal experience. There are plenty of guys who have been around a long time who have never gotten very far in officiating while others have gone a long ways in less time. So just because someone has been doing it a long time doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. Listen? Yes. Take what they give and use it in your game? Maybe. Say that because they've been doing it along time so they are always right? No.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Look, you're right about this. He's telling you not to tell people what they shouldn't post, while telling you what you shouldn't post. It's not the first time, and it won't be the last. You're right. He's cranky. Ok? Happy now?
Shut up.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I could be Mary Struckoff for all you know, would I be right then?
Read situations 6 and 7 on the NFHS website and tell me if Mary is right or not.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I'm trying to come up with a joke about a Twinkie, Alberto Gonzalez and the Patriot Act, but it's not working.
Try working Hackensack, Bayonne and pusillanimous in there too.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Eww...no wonder everyone seems to be against it.
What do you mean "everyone"?

Maybe we should have a poll......
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
Read situations 6 and 7 on the NFHS website and tell me if Mary is right or not.
Good point.

Maybe he/she is Mary.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 12:10pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I agree with you that Vets always have something to offer. But in the world of officiating age doesn't always equal experience. There are plenty of guys who have been around a long time who have never gotten very far in officiating while others have gone a long ways in less time. So just because someone has been doing it a long time doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. Listen? Yes. Take what they give and use it in your game? Maybe. Say that because they've been doing it along time so they are always right? No.
Sigh...go back and read post #15 again. That rockyroad guy is pretty smart for a young fella! Seriously, if you've been lurking around here "for years" as you claim, then you would know better than to make these statements. When proven wrong according to the actual rules - not someone's personal interpretation of those rules - every single one of the "veteran" posters has admitted they were wrong - and will continue to do so. But when some putz comes on here and starts spouting what they "think" or "feel" should be right, they will get treated with brutal - but empathetic - honesty.

And I have no freaking idea what pusilan...pussill...pusilll...whatever that word is, means. But it kinda reminds me of that one post that made rainmaker so mad!!
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I heard that what ALberto Gonzalez was caught doing to the twinkie is now referred to as "the Patriot Act."
And when Dick Cheney got caught he called it "hunting".

When Bill Clinton got caught he called it another day at the office.

Finally (and I do mean finally)...did you hear the tragic news? Ted Kennedy drove off a bridge last night coming home from a party. His twinkie drowned.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 01:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
His twinkie drowned.
Impossible. Twinkies float. Even when filled.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 01:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
But when some putz comes on here and starts spouting what they "think" or "feel" should be right, they will get treated with brutal - but empathetic - honesty.
We might have to find another appellation, considering the way JJ has pitched. The lad is impressive as hell.