The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing better to do

I have been reading threads on this website daily for years now and have gotten much entertainment out of it. Today I decided it was time to post a thread to discuss why it is that some of you must prove others wrong at all costs. Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. I know this site is about sharing "correct" information, but at the same time it's about share and discussing opinions. Sometimes however when someone posts a question or a response another poster will react as if he/she is wrong and they must be ridiculed for it. I, like all of you, agree that there is no place for someone to just post bad or misguided information.......I think we all know who did that on a daily basis........but then there are the cases, such as the post from Kansas talking about head coaches. Instead of believing or questioning this post, some just said that can't be right this guy/girl is an idiot. Why? If you were from there or knew someone from there perhaps you would have thought differently. All I am saying is that different isn't always wrong. Example........I'm from MN, for highschool we run halves, we are choosing to have the away team wear white, even thought the home home team is "required" to by NFHS. And we are also choosing to give one single technical foul for teams who wear the wrong jersey, rather than a technical foul for every player entering the game. Now if you weren't from here and I posted that you might say I don't know what I"m talking about. Then I might be able to change you mind by showing you some literature that proves my point. Even then you might still think I'm an idiot.........All I'm saying is that we shouldn't jump to conclusions just because what is being said is different from what we are use to or think we know to be true.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

MN can also use video review in State Championship games.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

State tourney games? Of course!!! But we all know that because of that great shot, and the article in referee magazine. Again, if you didn't know that you might think I'm crazy.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

You're not crazy. You're just different.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 04:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD21
Instead of believing or questioning this post, some just said that can't be right this guy/girl is an idiot. Why?
This is why some of us have inquired about the actual official KS interp on the issue in question.

Also, the issue was not him providing the KS interp. He defended it, which invited response. He wasn't very receptive to the response, however.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 04:55pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
if you didn't know that you might think I'm crazy.

Not crazy. Just wrong.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Also, the issue was not him providing the KS interp. He defended it, which invited response.

That's what I'm talking about........let's use something fro the NCAA rule book as an example. College officials are "required" this year the wear the new CCA jacket. We all agree on that correct? Now I say, the conferences I work in, decided they weren't going to listen to the "requirement" and we weren't going to wear them. What would you say? Am I wrong? If so, why? If I"m not wrong, why? Remember, the book says we are required to wear them. Responses?
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

That one is simple. The person in charge of your conference is wrong.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 05:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Today I decided it was time to post a thread to discuss why it is that some of you must prove others wrong at all costs. Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. I know this site is about sharing "correct" information, but at the same time it's about share and discussing opinions. Sometimes however when someone posts a question or a response another poster will react as if he/she is wrong and they must be ridiculed for it. I, like all of you, agree that there is no place for someone to just post bad or misguided information.......I think we all know who did that on a daily basis........but then there are the cases, such as the post from Kansas talking about head coaches. Instead of believing or questioning this post, some just said that can't be right this guy/girl is an idiot. Why? If you were from there or knew someone from there perhaps you would have thought differently. All I am saying is that different isn't always wrong.

Even then you might still think I'm an idiot.........All I'm saying is that we shouldn't jump to conclusions just because what is being said is different from what we are use to or think we know to be true.
And all I'm saying is exactly what has been said to the many others who have brought up the exact same point......

DON"T TELL US WHAT TO POST!!!!

That is not your job, or any of your business either. What gets posted here is determined by the owners of this site and the moderators, not by you, me or anybody else.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 05:44pm.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 05:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Is there a point coming soon?

Peace
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 05:25pm
Huck Finn

I don't even know about the "Kansas" post, but your state is opening up a can of worms. What if you tell a player they are wearing an illegal headband and to take it off? If the player tells you no, what are you going to do and what are you going to use to back yourself up? Since your state has ignored the rule book you can't use that.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

My point is would any of you like me or others to respond to everything you poat and tell you why I think you are wrong? Wether I'm right you're right or neither of us is right? Because that seems to be what some like to do. I guess if that's what you feel you need to do then great. Wonder what would happen if the same was done to you? We can all play devils advocate if you will on a lot of the enforcement of the rules in the game of basketball. I'm just saying that some of you feel that your way is the only way. And dare I say...............YOU'RE NOT ALWAYS RIGHT!!! oh but you think you are, we all do. its ok to be shown a different way once in a while.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 05:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's what I'm talking about........let's use something fro the NCAA rule book as an example. College officials are "required" this year the wear the new CCA jacket. We all agree on that correct? Now I say, the conferences I work in, decided they weren't going to listen to the "requirement" and we weren't going to wear them. What would you say? Am I wrong? If so, why? If I"m not wrong, why? Remember, the book says we are required to wear them. Responses?
We'd say your conference was wrong. Now, if you want to make it more like the situation you're talking about, you need to follow that up with a couple of more steps.

You: My conference says....
Us: That's not very bright of your conference.
You: Well, I agree with them because....
Us: Well, here's why we think it's stupid.
You: Harumph, well I work 300 games a year....
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I don't even know about the "Kansas" post, but your state is opening up a can of worms. What if you tell a player they are wearing an illegal headband and to take it off? If the player tells you no, what are you going to do and what are you going to use to back yourself up? Since your state has ignored the rule book you can't use that.
I'm not saying I agree with what we as a state are doing. In fact on most of it I don't. But I have to "enforce" their rules if I want to work. But to my states credit, their ignorance of the rule book might be promoting change. There are some places now that think halves are a good idea, some others who think replay is a good idea, and maybe after this year might think shot clocks are a good idea. If you don't try new things you never know what could improve the game. That doesn't mean it will work and always be that way, but you might have to try once in a while. I mean men's NCAA tried table side with the calling official and now switched back. Experiments don't mean forever.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 05:38pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
My point is would any of you like me or others to respond to everything you poat and tell you why I think you are wrong? Wether I'm right you're right or neither of us is right? Because that seems to be what some like to do. I guess if that's what you feel you need to do then great. Wonder what would happen if the same was done to you? We can all play devils advocate if you will on a lot of the enforcement of the rules in the game of basketball. I'm just saying that some of you feel that your way is the only way. And dare I say...............YOU'RE NOT ALWAYS RIGHT!!! oh but you think you are, we all do. its ok to be shown a different way once in a while.
If I was posting something that was wrong (which has been known to happen every now and then), I would hope that my colleagues on this board would tell me I was wrong and tell me why I was wrong. And if I continued to defend that wrong position, I would hope that they would shoot me to pieces. And if I still tried to defend that position and told them to "go to hell because I'm right and you're the ones that are wrong", well, that would just be silly now, wouldn't it...people who do try that tend to get some vicious responses. Most important of all to the long-timers on this board is protecting the integrity of the game - and if that takes a 2x4 upside someone's head, well by golly JR will be there to do it (and provide his own lumber to boot).

Oh, and btw, you're still wrong.