The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

what now?

Started hitting the books in preparation for the upcoming NFHS testing and came across the following from an old test. (2001-02 Part II)

"If B1 goaltends and airborne shooter A1 then commits a player control foul, the goaltending is ignored."

My answer was false, and it was counted as correct, but I can't remember how to administer the penalties. My guess would be to award the goal to team A, charge A1 with a player control foul and give the ball to team B for an unrestricted throw-in.

Agree or not?
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 11:10am
Do not give a damn!!

If the goaltending happened first, you award the basket and call the PC foul. I do not know what a "restricted" throw-in is. Team B is allowed to throw in the ball anywhere along the end line.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If the goaltending happened first, you award the basket and call the PC foul. I do not know what a "restricted" throw-in is. Team B is allowed to throw in the ball anywhere along the end line.

Peace

Sorry about the non-rulebook terminology - "Restricted" would mean a spot throw-in and "non-restricted" would mean the team retains the option to run the end line.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

Peace
So I am assuming that if the PC foul occured first, the goaltending would be ignored?
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 11:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yes, because the ball becomes dead immediately on the PC foul.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 11:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo
Sorry about the non-rulebook terminology - "Restricted" would mean a spot throw-in and "non-restricted" would mean the team retains the option to run the end line.
It either is a "designated spot" throw-in or it is not. Restricted throw-in sounds a bit confusing to me and likely others that are not knowledgeable about the rule.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Dang...I don't have my books with me, but I seem to recall a similar case book play except it was basket interference. If I recall correctly, they awarded the points, due to the BI, if the shot was released before the PC foul occurred.

Help...who has a case book?!?!??!
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 12:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Look at it this way, if the goal is scored before the ball becomes dead, it counts. The ball does not become dead until the PC foul.

To determine if the shot is good or not, you need to know the timing of two things:

1. the scoring event happens (ball through goal or goal tending/BI.)
2. the PC foul occurs.

If #1 happens first, count the goal. If #2 happens before #1, no basket.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

9.11.1 SITUATION E: The bonus rule is in effect. While the ball is in flight during a try for field goal by A1, A2 fouls B1. B2 then commits a basket-interference violation. RULING: Both the violation and personal foul are penalized. Team A is awarded two points for the basket interference by B2 and then B1 is awarded a free throw(s) for the foul by A2. (6-7 Exception b)
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
9.11.1 SITUATION E: The bonus rule is in effect. While the ball is in flight during a try for field goal by A1, A2 fouls B1. B2 then commits a basket-interference violation. RULING: Both the violation and personal foul are penalized. Team A is awarded two points for the basket interference by B2 and then B1 is awarded a free throw(s) for the foul by A2. (6-7 Exception b)
This is slightly changed when the foul in question is a PC foul. On all other fouls, the ball remains alive when it's already in flight on a try. On a PC foul, it's dead immediately.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
This is slightly changed when the foul in question is a PC foul. On all other fouls, the ball remains alive when it's already in flight on a try. On a PC foul, it's dead immediately.
Correct! I tried to find a similar case book play similar to the OP, could not find it.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 12:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo
Started hitting the books in preparation for the upcoming NFHS testing and came across the following from an old test. (2001-02 Part II)

"If B1 goaltends and airborne shooter A1 then commits a player control foul, the goaltending is ignored."

My answer was false, and it was counted as correct, but I can't remember how to administer the penalties. My guess would be to award the goal to team A, charge A1 with a player control foul and give the ball to team B for an unrestricted throw-in.

Agree or not?
See case book play 4.19.6SitA(a). It's the exact play.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Look at it this way, if the goal is scored before the ball becomes dead, it counts. The ball does not become dead until the PC foul.

To determine if the shot is good or not, you need to know the timing of two things:

1. the scoring event happens (ball through goal or goal tending/BI.)
2. the PC foul occurs.

If #1 happens first, count the goal. If #2 happens before #1, no basket.
That's not quite correct. Even if the ball is through the goal, no points can be scored if there's a PC foul.

Points can be awarded for BI or GT followed by a PC foul.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 01:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
That's not quite correct. Even if the ball is through the goal, no points can be scored if there's a PC foul.

Points can be awarded for BI or GT followed by a PC foul.
I'll have to follow up on these rules, because I don't get it now. Why would we disallow the basket that's already been scored?
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 01:11pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Why would we disallow the basket that's already been scored?
Because no basket can be scored when the shooter commits a player control foul. The points can be awarded if the defense violates in certain ways, but the shooter cannot score a basket if he/she commits a PC foul.