The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I know there are a few around who will say "I told you so". I wanted to let everyone know of my experience, so they can perhaps save a hassle. +POS, i.e. Parsons Officials Supplies, out of Schaumburg, IL, http://www.pluspos.com OR http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com. I had ordered from them five or six times and received pretty good service and value, including once where they sent me a pair of knickers with a broken snap. I called and had another pair two days later.

My last experience ruined all the good will I had towards them. I placed an order on 12/19 for a pair of knickers that were 50% off, a couple of flags, and a cotton/poly blend shirt. I got a call on or about 1/4 saying my credit card information was not going through, so I gave them another credit card number (I had a card in my billfold from a couple of years ago that I had never used, must have cancelled it due to inactivity). They did in fact, charge my credit card on 1/4. I called them at least three times after that beginning on 1/22, wondering where the heck my order was. Each and every time, getting someone who was going to look for the paperwork and call me back in about half an hour. At this time, I didn't know they had already charged my card, each time I asked they said they couldn't tell and would find that out also. Today, I look at my credit card bill and sure enough, there it is. I call again and speak to Sylvia Parsons (don't know for sure but assume she must be part of the ownership and/or management because of the last name). She gave me the same run around, telling me what "may have happened", "could have been the computer problems we've been having", blah, blah, blah. She tries to suggest that it may show up on my doorstep at any second, but they can't ship another order until they find the paperwork. I say fine, cancel it, and credit my card. She says she will do just that as soon as she finds the paperwork and this may take a couple of days. My ***, I've been waiting for them to "find the paperwork" for two weeks, how long if at all would it take them to credit my card. So, I ultimately called the credit card company and disputed the charge.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Your next phone calls should be to the BBB, the Consumer Protection division in your state and theirs and possibly to the Attorney General of their state. If customers put up with crap from businesses that fail miserably like this, nothing will ever change.

I would also post your message on every board I could find, regardless of the sport...but then, I have been known to get upset from time to time.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

I've ordered from +Pos and have done well. I get the sense they are something of a Mom & Pop organization and perhaps not too well organized. So even though I had some success with them, based upon the above impression and other feedback I've read on the boards, I made my last order from Honig's. I was amazed with the turnaround on my order.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 02:41pm
Administrator

I have only ordered from +POS once and it was not a good experience. I ordered some umpiring equipment. It never came. Sylvia Parsons, said that UPS delivered it, even though I never received it. She wanted me to pay for the equipment again and then if it didn't the first order didn't show up in six weeks they would reimburse me. I told her that was not exceptable and if she didn't make good on my first order I would report her to U.S. authorities. She made good on the first order and I have never ordered anything from them again.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I have ordered from +POS also and I have not had a good experience with them either. Sylvia Parson's is the "bigwig" at +POS. I have had to deal with her also and she did not treat met with respect at all. I would highly recommend that you report this to the BBB and spread the word to fellow officials, so that they will not have to go through the samething.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Angry

dd69,

I hate to say it but I had almost exactly the same experience that you did. I ordered new mesh shirts from them way before the season started. Was told they were ordered and would be sent out in 3-5 days. Called back the next week. The order still had not gone out. Called back each of the next two weeks, same story. Bball season is now a week a way and I need my shirts. Cancelled order. Price shows up on credit card bill. Call back four different times and get the same story. Yes, we have a record where your order was cancelled but can't find the paper work needed to credit my card. Someone will call you back in 24 hours or less. No return call ever. Finally called Discover Card and disputed their charges. I will NEVER use this company again. Ordered from Purchase Official Supplies and ordered arrived within three days.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

These people are unbelievable. After I talked to Sylvia Parsons on 1/29, I told her to cancel the order and credit my card, which she said she would do as soon as she found the paperwork. That's when I disputed the charge through my credit card. What Sylvia actually did was ship all of my order except the knickers which were apparently out of stock and what was holding up the entire thing anyway. I wasn't home and my UPS man set the package inside my door or I wouldn't have accepted it. They credited my card for the cost of the knickers according to their invoice. Now I don't know what the heck to do. I have already placed another order through another company for the merchandise. I wouldn't mind keeping the cotton/poly bball shirt and the football flags, but I definitely don't need two more pairs of football socks at $8.00 each. Think I will call them and tell them to credit me for the socks, I can mail them back fairly cheaply and I will drop the dispute for the original charges, what a freakin mess.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

If you just call UPS and tell them you want to refuse the package they should return it at no charge, unless you opened it. You may need to take it to them, or drop in in a night box, but it will get back.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 04:39pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Can't go wrong with Honig's

Subject says it all...

http://www.honigs.com
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have never ordered from them but I will now burn the +pos catalog when it comes in the mail. I too have always had good luck from Honig's--besides they're located in Bryan TX(home of the fighting Texas Aggies--Gig 'em.)
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 05:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Over the years, I've probably ordered from most of the places advertised in Referee and other places. Recently, I've been ordering from Gerry Davis Sports. Although their emphasis is on baseball (as you can imagine), the have a really good inventory of basketball stuff, including Cliff Keen shirts, which is the only brand I'll buy.

My experiences with them have all been positive, and they are very courteous. I've found that when they tell you they have something in stock, they really do.