The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Spot Throw-in

Had a coach yell "she is traveling" during an endline spot throw-in last night. I was C and focused on the players, but I noticed out of my peripheral vision that she had taken a step or two backwards. As I was attempting to replay the rule in my mind, I did not see anything wrong with her stepping back. I believe we have covered this before that there is no limitation to how far back a player goes during a spot throw-in; only limited laterally. Is this a common misconception among JV / HS coaches?
7.6.2 Situation:A1 is out of bounds for a designated-spot throw-in. The administering official has designated the spot and put the ball at A1’s disposal. In order to avoid some of the defensive pressure near the throw-in spot, A1 takes several steps directly backward, but keeps one foot on or over the designated area prior to releasing the ball on a throw-in pass.
Ruling:Legal throw-in. It is permissible for the thrower to move backward or forward within the 3-foot-wide designated area without violating and he/she may move laterally if at least one foot is kept on or over the designated area until the ball is released. The thrower may also jump vertically and pass from the designated throw-in spot.
Comment:Pivot-foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in. The thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released.

[See corresponding Rule Article for Situation 7.6.2]
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

It's a common misperception that leaving the designated spot is a traveling violation. It never is a traveling violation.

And, you're also right that A1 can step back from the spot, but cannot move beyond the designated spot parallel to the boundary line.

4-42-6: The designated throw-in spot is 3 feet wide with no depth limitation and is established by the official prior to putting the ball at the thrower's disposal.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 01:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Had an AAU coach try to start an argument on this with me once.

Most coaches know the rule, though, and if you'd called it chances are you'd have had an even bigger problem on your hands with the other coach.

Part of the problem is the mechanic some officials use when calling the spot violation.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Part of the problem is the mechanic some officials use when calling the spot violation.
Exactly...many officials use the traveling mechanic to call this violation. Not sure where that came from - perhaps it was that way long ago?
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

While we are still doing scrimmages, do you recommend we mention this after the game to the coach or just leave it be? None of us addressed the coach; just played on.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

As a coach, I can say that there is a common misconception amongst coaches, and a rare but more common than expected misconception amongst officials about this rule.

I would say in the past year in HS Freshmen, JV, and Var games that I've coached or watched, once every 3 games or so a coach would argue for a "travelling" call on spot inbound. In the same span of time, i would say once every 20 games or so, an official (usually on the lower levels of Freshmen or JV) would call an inbounds violation with the "travelling" mechanic or explain to the coach that the player switched his pivot foot.

Regardless of how the call was made, if one of my players commits a spot throw-in violation of this type, my question to the player (not the official) is usually "where the he!! are you going?!??" or "I don't remember that being part of the play?!?"
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Exactly...many officials use the traveling mechanic to call this violation. Not sure where that came from - perhaps it was that way long ago?
Sometimes...but I've seen officials call a "travel" when the player in no way moved anywhere near 3' but just shuffled their feet. Some officials just get it wrong.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 02:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
While we are still doing scrimmages, do you recommend we mention this after the game to the coach or just leave it be? None of us addressed the coach; just played on.
Ignore it if you can. If the coach is adament that you got the rule wrong, a discussion isn't going to help; and I do not recommend pulling the rule book out and showing him the "traveling and pivot foot rules do not apply during a throwin" part.

If he asks you politely after he calms down, discuss it with him. I wouldn't, however, recommend initiating the conversation either during or after the game.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Sometimes...but I've seen officials call a "travel" when the player in no way moved anywhere near 3' but just shuffled their feet. Some officials just get it wrong.
Certainly, though I was just responding from a "got the call right but used the wrong mechanic" point of view, which perpetuates the myth that the inbounder must maintain a pivot foot and/or that leaving that spot is a traveling violation.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Okay... nothing came of it. No questions to us or otherwise. Perhaps it was a ploy to see if we would bite. It certainly made me think for a minute.
Our chapter had a meeting with the Varsity coaches this year to discuss and explain many of these rules. The coaches that DID attend said they really learned something and wished ALL the coaches had shown up. They also had an opportunity to share what they would like to see from Officials. Of course the main concern on their part was that officials are not consistent in their calls.....
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Real simple rule of thumb for a spot throw-in:

If a thrower takes a big step to the side and crosses over with the other foot, violation.