Thread: Spot Throw-in
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Spot Throw-in

Had a coach yell "she is traveling" during an endline spot throw-in last night. I was C and focused on the players, but I noticed out of my peripheral vision that she had taken a step or two backwards. As I was attempting to replay the rule in my mind, I did not see anything wrong with her stepping back. I believe we have covered this before that there is no limitation to how far back a player goes during a spot throw-in; only limited laterally. Is this a common misconception among JV / HS coaches?
7.6.2 Situation:A1 is out of bounds for a designated-spot throw-in. The administering official has designated the spot and put the ball at A1’s disposal. In order to avoid some of the defensive pressure near the throw-in spot, A1 takes several steps directly backward, but keeps one foot on or over the designated area prior to releasing the ball on a throw-in pass.
Ruling:Legal throw-in. It is permissible for the thrower to move backward or forward within the 3-foot-wide designated area without violating and he/she may move laterally if at least one foot is kept on or over the designated area until the ball is released. The thrower may also jump vertically and pass from the designated throw-in spot.
Comment:Pivot-foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in. The thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released.

[See corresponding Rule Article for Situation 7.6.2]