The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Angry The Test....

Ok.. so I sent in my test... I thought I did really well... ya.. no!! I got a 70.. WTF...

I went over 2/3 of it with a very senior official who is on the rules commity.. and did the rest out of the book.. the only thing I could think of is that maybe I misaligned the numbers or somthing. I could not have done that poorly...

I'm going to my clinic this weekend, and I'll retake it after that. Just venting a little.

thanks.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Prior to my test in 06', I bought an Athletic Rules Study program for basketball. In this program it had 5 years worth of old test questions. It was tremendous, helped me get a 96 and should do you a lot of good as well.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 11:24am
certified Hot Mom tester

I tool a small quiz once. It was called a "quizzical". Maybe you should take a small test?
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 11:29am
Do not give a damn!!

It is an open book test!!! Why did you not just go over the test with your association before you submitted the results? You do not need to buy a program to do that. I have a group that goes over the test before our association discusses the test to make sure we all go over the test so that our scores are not in the tank. Before anyone starts going off, this is a widely acceptable practice and has been in many cases encouraged. This is not a test that is expected to be taken in a dark room all by yourself.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 11:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This is not a test that is expected to be taken in a dark room all by yourself.
Except for Padgett, who is encouraged to stay in a dark room by himself as much as possible; even when taking open book tests. Otherwise, children tend to get frightened.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I tool a small quiz once. It was called a "quizzical". Maybe you should take a small test?
If a small pig is a piglet and a small ring is a ringlet, what's a small toy?

Oh, and how did you tool it?
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
It is an open book test!!! Why did you not just go over the test with your association before you submitted the results? You do not need to buy a program to do that. I have a group that goes over the test before our association discusses the test to make sure we all go over the test so that our scores are not in the tank. Before anyone starts going off, this is a widely acceptable practice and has been in many cases encouraged. This is not a test that is expected to be taken in a dark room all by yourself.

Peace
That is the most frustrating part. Like I said.. I went over most of the test with a senior official who was on the rules commitee. The rest I did out of the book.

I dont know what happened. Very frustrating cause I understand the rules. I read the posts here and understand eveything you are talking about.

Oh well.. Like I said.. I'm going to the hands on clinic this sat and they have the rules interpretation meeting at the end. I'll take the test again after that.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 12:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Except for Padgett, who is encouraged to stay in a dark room by himself as much as possible; even when taking open book tests. Otherwise, children tend to get frightened.
Replace "encouraged" with "required" and you just about have it.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
If a small pig is a piglet and a small ring is a ringlet, what's a small toy?
if electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from morons?...just curious.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 03:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
That is the most frustrating part. Like I said.. I went over most of the test with a senior official who was on the rules commitee. The rest I did out of the book.

I dont know what happened. Very frustrating cause I understand the rules. I read the posts here and understand eveything you are talking about.

Oh well.. Like I said.. I'm going to the hands on clinic this sat and they have the rules interpretation meeting at the end. I'll take the test again after that.
Did you take the test online or mail the test into the IHSA? Also PM me because there were some other questions I wanted to ask you outside of this forum.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Is this the first year you took the test? As most of us would agree, the test questions are not always the most clearly written statements you will ever read. The first couple of times you do it can be tough. After a while you get used to their format and get to know what they expect. Don't beat yourself up for it too much.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Is this the first year you took the test? As most of us would agree, the test questions are not always the most clearly written statements you will ever read. The first couple of times you do it can be tough. After a while you get used to their format and get to know what they expect. Don't beat yourself up for it too much.
Yes.. this is my first time.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 03:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

These questions are worded in a way that makes them purposefully more difficult. I think they do this so you need more than just a cursory knowledge of the rules to pass it. You need to actually understand the individual rules.

The trade-off is that the questions are sometimes too confusing.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
These questions are worded in a way that makes them purposefully more difficult. I think they do this so you need more than just a cursory knowledge of the rules to pass it. You need to actually understand the individual rules.

Sooo glad to hear you guys say that... I thought it was just me...
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
These questions are worded in a way that makes them purposefully more difficult.
BS.
Quote:
I think they do this so you need more than just a cursory knowledge of the rules to pass it. You need to actually understand the individual rules.

The questions are worded in a technical way to see if you really know the topic, not just to make it more difficult for no good reason.

The real issue is that they're written in technical terms instead of the general laymens terms which all too many people (including officials) think. They're trying to expose the real rule and get the officials to know the rule itself instead of the most common application.