Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Thoughts? Yeah.

After training myself to keep on walking to table side after reporting now I've got to re-learn how to do it the old way. And re-learn where to go as non-calling official.
Yup.

Worked a scrimmage yesterday where all 3 guys on the court kept wanting to stay table side after reporting. By the end of the game, they had figured it out.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

The problem of C being left out could be solved if they went to the NBA style of switching. The calling official goes trail and the other 2 officials move to a different spot. This ensures that 1 official does not get "stuck" in C.

I was at a camp that implemented this and I liked it. I'm sure that some day it will filter down to college and high school. The hardest part was when you called a foul in trail opposite table and the throw-in spot was opposite table. You are supposed to stay where you are but habit wanted me to go table side.

Does anyone see a reason not to use this method of switching?

I agree with Zebraman that it will be "interesting" for Men's College and High School officials to switch gears from game to game. Your level of concentration has to be one notch higher. I already have to report with 2 hands for high school (state implemented mechanic) and 1 hand for college. Why can't we all just get along Hank...Mary...Ronnie?
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
That's NCAA-Men only I believe...aren't the NCAA-W still going tableside?
Yep, NCAA-W are still going tableside.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Table side mechanics was put in place so that coaches could ***** about call, it is that simple. Hank Nichols this weekend said that the change was to take that opportunity away from the coaches and get them back to coaching. Nichols also said that you still can explain something, but it will not allow for these elongated conversations that would usually take place.

I had a scrimmage yesterday and it worked out perfectly. I know the game was not for real, but it did not allow for a long conversation on much of anything.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Question

I thought the NCAA had done all kinds of stats that showed that the C made more calls than the L?

In either case, I like working the C. So I can't imagine complaining that I had gotten "stuck" there. Quite the opposite.

But if being C for too long is really an issue for somebody, then going tableside makes it easy to solve, just find a foul and call it. With going opposite, now you're there until one of your partner calls a foul.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 11:31am
Esteemed Participant

Why are we assuming that going opposite will always make you the C? That will be true on shooting fouls, but are all the fouls you call shooting fouls? You're not going to be "stuck at C" any more than going tableside kept you "stuck at" T or L...add to that the fact that your crew should be rotating frequently anyway, and the whole concept of "being stuck" somewhere just doesn't fly.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Why are we assuming that going opposite will always make you the C? That will be true on shooting fouls, but are all the fouls you call shooting fouls? You're not going to be "stuck at C" any more than going tableside kept you "stuck at" T or L...add to that the fact that your crew should be rotating frequently anyway, and the whole concept of "being stuck" somewhere just doesn't fly.
"We" are assuming it because people assume too much.

Life is simpler that way.

I, for one, never heard anything at all about this being even a minor consideration when it was decided to go opposite table. The only reason is coaches got too used to being talked to, and that was because the officials were too willing to talk. I know I've been guilty a few times my self.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

The simple fact is they changed it because the officials were not taking care of business and the coaches were abusing having the calling official there.

A few more, "I've heard enough," and whacks and they'd still be going table side.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 01:03pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I, for one, never heard anything at all about this being even a minor consideration when it was decided to go opposite table. The only reason is coaches got too used to being talked to, and that was because the officials were too willing to talk.
This is also the way it was presented to me, for whatever that's worth.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 03:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
This is also the way it was presented to me, for whatever that's worth.
This is what Hank Nichols basically said on Saturday.

Peace