The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: elastic clause?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by crew b1 whom jumped to block the attempt grasps the basket to avoid injury.this is a play that is not specifically covered by the rules and the official had to do something.
as with a player unintentionally slapping the backboard causing it to shake at which causes the ball to "rim out." this is a play that is not covered by the rules-it is not specifically addressed but in a game time situation needs to be addressed. using common sense and some fair judgement you can handle this situation to the best of your abilities. me personally, i would score the basket.
Wrong again,crew,the play above is covered in the rules.R10-3-5Exception in the Fed book and R10-3-12a in the NCAA mens book.Both cover a player grabbing the ring to avoid injury.Why are you trying to apply R2-3 to something that is specifically covered elsewhere?The only judgement by the official in the above case is whether the player grabbed the ring to avoid injury.The only judgement by the official in the other case is whether the player slapped the board deliberately or not.In both cases,the penalty is a T.The rules for BI in both books also don't give you the right to award a basket.Nothing personal,crew, but you should really read the books a little bit more.Got a great bunch of neat things in there that you can use instead of 2-3.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jan 30th, 2002 at 05:35 AM] [/B]
well JR,
the official called a suspension of play during a live ball because of the confusion, not because the player hung on the rim. that is the 2-3 situation that i am referencing. i know that hanging on the rim to prevent injury is legal in NF nc2a and nba. do not think that i got where i am because i do not know the rules. rules knowledge combined with common sense is an important part of my success. have a nice day
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 02:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Common Sense

Quote:
Originally posted by crew

well JR,
the official called a suspension of play during a live ball because of the confusion, not because the player hung on the rim. that is the 2-3 situation that i am referencing. i know that hanging on the rim to prevent injury is legal in NF nc2a and nba. do not think that i got where i am because i do not know the rules. rules knowledge combined with common sense is an important part of my success. have a nice day [/B]
Common sense is not making up rules. Common sense is applying the rules appropriately to the situation that occurs. This is not common sense, because the rules clearly state how baskets can be counted and not counted. And in at least the NF has made this a point of emphisis recently, you should not be talking about counting a basket for vibrated backboard unless it falls under the rules for BI and GT. Sorry crew, this is not what the rules requires us to do.

Common sense has much more to do with what you call and when you call it, but not making up rules to right a wrong. You still have to apply what the rulebook says, and do what is right in that situation. Especially if the casebook and rulebook specificially cover this situation. And in this case it does and your solution is from the stars.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: score it

Quote:
i have actually had this happen in a highschool game and a college game. in both cases i just scored the basket and played on. the players in both situations were trying to block the shot missed and hit the backboard very hard. the result was a very shaky backboard and the ball rimmed out. the rule book covers intentionally slapping the backborad, not incidental. elasticity(something not specifically covered by the rules) would extend to cover this situation in my opinion. scoring the basket is what makes sense, it will not get you in trouble by coaches nor supervisors. i would not dice this play up to much nor be so pure as to issue a tech., keep it simple.
Crew, I was working an NCAA game and we had this in a game. I was lead, partners at T and C. T awarded the basket. After the game, an evaluator came into the locker room and ripped the T up one side and down the other. His point was it can't be BI under any definition and there is nothing that allows the counting of the goal. If it was a legitimate attempt to block, play on. I found out later that the coach whose team had the goal counted against him later sent the tape of the game to our supervisor and our supervisor pulled a week's worth of games from the T official for "making up rules as he went along". I agree that a tech isn't issued but right now there is nothing that allows you to count it.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: score it

Quote:
Originally posted by walter
Crew, I was working an NCAA game and we had this in a game. I was lead, partners at T and C. T awarded the basket. After the game, an evaluator came into the locker room and ripped the T up one side and down the other. His point was it can't be BI under any definition and there is nothing that allows the counting of the goal. If it was a legitimate attempt to block, play on. I found out later that the coach whose team had the goal counted against him later sent the tape of the game to our supervisor and our supervisor pulled a week's worth of games from the T official for "making up rules as he went along". I agree that a tech isn't issued but right now there is nothing that allows you to count it.
Good post, Walter. Maybe he'll believe you!!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

i will back down from my stand on scoring the basket.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Crew, you mean you are crossing the line to the Light side?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Crew, you mean you are crossing the line to the Light side?
hell no
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

LONG LIVE THE REBELLION!
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i will back down from my stand on scoring the basket.
I'm impressed crew; it is hard to take a stand and then reverse it when the evidence doesn't go your way--in this thread you have displayed the attributes of a good official.