The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

In a high school game, I observed this from the stands recently. Funny this was brought up. The official assessed a technical foul.

I totally disagree. The official even told me later when I talked to him after the game, he didn't think the player slapped it intentionally. I thought that was the point of the rule, was to penalize intentional slaps??!!!

I would have scored the basket and play on. Defensive player B tries to make a legitimate block on the ball and misses it and causes the backboard to move and the ball which was going in to come out and off of the rim. I score it here. Good play by defensive players should not be penalized and given a technical foul for athletic play at or above rim level.

After all its not the player's fault they don't have better goals so he can go after the ball and not move the backboard and/or support(s) to it, right?

Good play here.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 10:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
In a high school game, I observed this from the stands recently. Funny this was brought up. The official assessed a technical foul.

I totally disagree. The official even told me later when I talked to him after the game, he didn't think the player slapped it intentionally. I thought that was the point of the rule, was to penalize intentional slaps??!!!

I would have scored the basket and play on. Defensive player B tries to make a legitimate block on the ball and misses it and causes the backboard to move and the ball which was going in to come out and off of the rim. I score it here. Good play by defensive players should not be penalized and given a technical foul for athletic play at or above rim level.

After all its not the player's fault they don't have better goals so he can go after the ball and not move the backboard and/or support(s) to it, right?

Good play here.
I agree with no T,but what Fed rule allows you to award the basket?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

How about elasticity rule?? Seriously, though, why should we not count it? Doesn't it make sense? Score the basket because the backboard moved too much and caused the ball to miss.

Why penalize a player for making a great play by giving him a technical foul, which in high school is two shots and the ball, for using his athletic abilities.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Why penalize a player for making a great play by giving him a technical foul, which in high school is two shots and the ball, for using his athletic abilities.
What exactly was the "great play" involved here? He jumped and whacked the backboard. That's not a great play, in my humble opinion. But even if I'm wrong (which has been the case once or twice), if the contact interefered with the ball going in the basket, and you feel it cannot be ignored, then your only option under the rules for both HS and NCAA is the T. You cannot score the hoop. That would just be making up your own rules as you go. Don't do it.

It seems to me that this is not a judgment/philosophy issue. It's as clear cut as it can possibly be. There are three and only three situations in which BI can be called in HS (four in NCAA, thanks to Teddy and Bobby); and this isn't one of them.

Chuck
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Never argue with someone who has the book open...
What's the rule about the vibrations chuck? What's it called when the backboard is slapped causing vibrations in the rim that affect the shot on goal? I know there is a name for it...I don't have my book with me but I'm sure it's there somewhere. Can you help a brother out?

If the backboard is slapped unintentionally with sufficient force to affect the shot, do you still have nothing but good D?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 10:35am
Esteemed Participant

Interesting that someone finally brought up Teddy and Bobby...the reason that Teddy and Bobby had their problem a few years back was that Teddy called the play correctly, but Bobby wanted someone to give him the basket since the rim got moved around and the ball popped out...situations like that happen because some officials decide to call things that "just make sense" but don't fit the rules, then the next time it happens and the refs call it correctly, the coaches go nuts...there is no BI on this original play - no matter how much the basket is moving, and no matter how much simpler it would be to call it that way...we have two choices: 1)Play on...2)Call the T for intentional contact with the backboard...as Chuch already said - it really is that simple!
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How about elasticity rule?? Seriously, though, why should we not count it? Doesn't it make sense? Score the basket because the backboard moved too much and caused the ball to miss.

Elasticity allows judgement for situations not covered in the rules.

When the rules say BI is a, b, or c, and you say BI is also d (in an NF game), you are adding to the rules, not interpreting them.

I agree that this should be BI, not a no-call or T. However, until the rule is changed, I'm not calling BI!
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 10:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:

The other guys said it all,BB.You can't count the basket because the rules,as written,do not allow you to count the basket.Simple as that!
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Elasticity is only for points not covered in the rules and only elasticity within the rules. We have clear cut rules in this case. If i was to count a basket for slaping the back board in an NCAA game, at the very least i would not have as good a schedule the following year. This rule is a no brainer.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Just for the record, here's the NCAA rule:

Rule 10
Section 3. Indirect Technical Fouls
The following shall result in an indirect technical foul being charged to a team or player:
Art. 14. Intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing either the backboard or ring to vibrate while the ball is in flight during a try, or while the ball is touching the backboard, is on or in the basket or in the cylinder.

The way I read this (because of the "or"s), it's a T if an unintentional slap causes vibration while the ball is on the basket or in the cylinder.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave Brost
I agree with the majority. You have to call the "T", or a no-call, but not BI. I don't like it, but that's the way it is written right now. One point that I have not seen mentioned, is that the shot would still have its own merit. Count it, if it goes in, no goal if missed.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Lotto, I think this is a cover your axx type grammer. Avoids the mind reading issue.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

score it

i have actually had this happen in a highschool game and a college game. in both cases i just scored the basket and played on. the players in both situations were trying to block the shot missed and hit the backboard very hard. the result was a very shaky backboard and the ball rimmed out. the rule book covers intentionally slapping the backborad, not incidental. elasticity(something not specifically covered by the rules) would extend to cover this situation in my opinion. scoring the basket is what makes sense, it will not get you in trouble by coaches nor supervisors. i would not dice this play up to much nor be so pure as to issue a tech., keep it simple.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Her, here!
Brovo crew!
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

OK so I can't type...
Here, here!
Bravo crew