The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 20, 2007, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Starting the season off with an ejection

Today we had our annual 2 man mechanic camp in conjunction with an area boys/girls basketball tournament. 2 - 18 minute running halves. One team majority white was on defense while the other team majority black was on offense. One of the defense players bumped into the offense and the offense player pushes her and tells her get her white a*& off of her. WHACK! First T.... I go over to the table and report it, coach asks what had happened, I explained down to the T. She then comes behind him and says, he only called that because she was white loud enough for people in the stands to hear. WHACK! Second T and gone. Coach gets upset, I careless and move on with the game....What a crappy way to start off a season!
Old Sat Oct 20, 2007, 05:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Brandan - from the way you described it, it sounds to me like you did exactly the right thing. I know you would have done the same if the situation had be reversed.

When comments like these start, you have to pull a Barney Fife. Nip it, nip it in the bud.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2007, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandan89
Today we had our annual 2 man mechanic camp in conjunction with an area boys/girls basketball tournament. 2 - 18 minute running halves. One team majority white was on defense while the other team majority black was on offense. One of the defense players bumped into the offense and the offense player pushes her and tells her get her white a*& off of her. WHACK! First T.... I go over to the table and report it, coach asks what had happened, I explained down to the T. She then comes behind him and says, he only called that because she was white loud enough for people in the stands to hear. WHACK! Second T and gone. Coach gets upset, I careless and move on with the game....What a crappy way to start off a season!
Brandan, I think you did fine. Player clearly has an attitude problem, and you're letting her know this kind of talk isn't appropriate. It IS a lousy way for her to start her season, but you did fine, started off with a healthy exercise of proper authority, and you took care of business.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2007, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Brandan, I think you did fine. Player clearly has an attitude problem, and you're letting her know this kind of talk isn't appropriate. It IS a lousy way for her to start her season, but you did fine, started off with a healthy exercise of proper authority, and you took care of business.

I disagree, I think you're a big hothead with a quick trigger finger!!! (Hmmm hi my name is pot, nice to meet you kettle) After all, I'm sure if you would have listend closely she said, "I didn't mean it.

CLH
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

You did right Brandan. I had something similar in a girls varsity summer league game - a racial epiphet, profanity & threat of violence all in one sentence (stay out of my way you honky b***h or I'm gonna kick your f*****g a$$). She didn't get a second chance - went straight to flagrant on that one.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 06:06am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
You did right Brandan. I had something similar in a girls varsity summer league game - a racial epiphet, profanity & threat of violence all in one sentence (stay out of my way you honky b***h or I'm gonna kick your f*****g a$$). She didn't get a second chance - went straight to flagrant on that one.
We instruct our officials to call anything racial as being flagrant also. Get rid of 'em and write a report.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 12:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
We instruct our officials to call anything racial as being flagrant also. Get rid of 'em and write a report.
Kind of tough to define "racial" since the Genome Project proved there's no such thing as "race", only commonality of genetic tagging.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 01:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Kind of tough to define "racial" since the Genome Project proved there's no such thing as "race", only commonality of genetic tagging.
Naw, easy as hell. Mention anything derogatory by color and you're going. Let the PC crowd worry about it; we don't.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
- a racial epiphet, profanity & threat of violence all in one sentence (stay out of my way you honky b***h or I'm gonna kick your f*****g a$$).
Let's see... racial, check, profanity, check, and threat, check. Yup, I'm with you -- automatic F. please e-mail details. I want all the juice!
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Yep, a very unpleasant way to begin the season. However, you really did the girl a big favor. By showing her now what the consequences of such actions are, you give her a chance to get it under control before the games that matter. Not that such considerations factor into our decision making process at the time, but I'm just sayin...

A righteous ejection.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Yep, a very unpleasant way to begin the season. However, you really did the girl a big favor. By showing her now what the consequences of such actions are, you give her a chance to get it under control before the games that matter. Not that such considerations factor into our decision making process at the time, but I'm just sayin...

A righteous ejection.
I think this is the nail on the head here. The game is a microcosim of life...it doesn't always go the way we want and we need to learn at a young age how to deal....If sports and we as officials can aide that process, we are doing that intangible part of our jobs.

With my younger kids in the rec/summer leagues, I always try to catch them after the game and talk to them as a person and not the ref. I get that they don't often know how to separate the two, but there is that human element that goes into it as well....You see some of these kids on a weekly basis and it's nice when they approach you the person off the court OR on it in a nice demeanor that says, "yeah, he Td me, but I learned from it".
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Let's see... racial, check, profanity, check, and threat, check. Yup, I'm with you -- automatic F. please e-mail details. I want all the juice!
Not much to tell Juulie, just a young lady with mediocre skills, but a real attitude and a mouth to match - nothing you haven't seen before.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 12:27am
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle

A righteous ejection.
Agree. Not the first time she has earned this result, you can bet on that. At some point she will learn or be done.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 01:40pm
M.A.S.H.

Good job Brandan. Good to see you're back on the board to start the season!
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not much to tell Juulie, just a young lady with mediocre skills, but a real attitude and a mouth to match - nothing you haven't seen before.
Yes, but school? age? opponent? You are such a .... guy!!