The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Had a situation the other night. The free throw shooter was given the ball for the 2nd of 2 shots. With the ball in his hands, he turns and gives "the bird" to some heckling fans. He gets the technical foul. The question is... does he get to finish the 2nd foul shot? or is his shot aborted due to the technical.

Thanks for the info.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Don't abort. Shoot fouls in the order of occurrence.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Go Gators
Had a situation the other night. The free throw shooter was given the ball for the 2nd of 2 shots. With the ball in his hands, he turns and gives "the bird" to some heckling fans. He gets the technical foul. The question is... does he get to finish the 2nd foul shot? or is his shot aborted due to the technical.

Thanks for the info.
If you're playing NCAA rules, then the game will be temporarily halted. The non-shooting team will be given 2 shots, then the kid who gave the bird comes back, everyone lines up, and you shoot the second shot.

For NF, slider is correct.

In both cases, bird-brain will shoot the second of his two shots, unless the T is his 2nd direct T, his 3rd T overall (NCAA), or his 5th foul for DQ.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for reminding me to think NCAA too. However, you did leave out one posibility, the "bird" could be flagrant
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

In a high school game, under NF rules, I would eject a player for giving an obscene gesture. The substitute for that player would then shoot the final free throw with the lane cleared. We would then shoot the technical.

Mark, For NCAA, where does it state this (his 3rd T overall (NCAA)).

All I see is 5th personal and or includes direct technical fouls, intentional technical fouls for players. Please explain.

Thanks.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by secondyear
In a high school game, under NF rules, I would eject a player for giving an obscene gesture. The substitute for that player would then shoot the final free throw with the lane cleared. We would then shoot the technical.

All I see is 5th personal and or includes direct technical fouls, intentional technical fouls for players. Please explain.

Thanks.
NCAA 10-2-1 - If you get any combination of 3 T's, you're ejected. (Although it does not list 3 indirect T's as a combination.)

NCAA 10-6-4 - Two direct technicals assessed to anyone results in ejection of that person.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slider
Thanks for reminding me to think NCAA too. However, you did leave out one posibility, the "bird" could be flagrant
True.

Of course, you know what happens when we assume . . .
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also 10-4.5 gives the DQ combo spiel without the "restriction" of the "missing" 3 indirect combo.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. In NC, the player would automatically be ejected with a flagrant T. The sub woul have to shoot his FT.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith