The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

NEW 3-5-2d

3-5-2 ...Guards, casts, braces and compression sleeves must meet the following guidelines:
d. Must be worn for medical reasons.

Ok, so what does this rule mean?

What exactly is a medical reason? How do we know or learn that the player must wear the item for one? How should this be checked? Is a written note from an MD required?

1. Is it enough if the kid says, "I hurt my ankle."

2. What if the coach says, "It's medical."

3. What if the trainer says, "He has a muscle strain in his forearm and we are trying to keep it warm."

4. What if the item is not being worn because of an injury that was already suffered, but as a precaution to prevent a possible injury? What if the player's doctor recommends that he wear the brace or sleeve as a preventive measure?
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 05:36am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

MHO:

For those items listed to be worn, they must be for medical reasons.

If a player has a cast on, then it must be for medical reasons.
If a player has a brace on, then it must be for medical reasons.
etc.......

If a player has an item listed on, and the coaches confirms that the reason is non-medical, then you have a rule to deny that player participating with the item on his/her person.

If do think that we're able to differentiate between medical and non-medical reasons, for the most part. Eg: fashion is not a medical reason. But specifically:
  1. Confirm with coach.
  2. The coach's word is justification.
  3. The trainer's word is justification.
  4. The coach's confirmation of the doctor's word is justification.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Our state received a response from the NFHS on this issue.
=======================
This was an editorial change…no need for any kind of documentation….from a doctor or otherwise. We can make certain assumptions about what is being worn…knee sleeve, brace, etc. are usually worn for medical purposes. If there is a doubt, all the official has to do is ask the student-athlete, coach, trainer, anyone….”is that being worn for medical purposes?” If the answer is yes, then it’s fine. Vast majority of items will comply. No need to over-think or over-officiate this. If anything was required, medical documentation or a doctor’s note, it would have been stated that way.

Mary Struckhoff
Assistant Director
Basketball & Softball Rules Editor
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

In WI we were told to ask athlete if the brace etc is being worn for a medical reason - if they respond yes - thats the end of it. If the response is no - tell them they have to remove it - inform coach and do not allow them to play until it is removed.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 02:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Get ready for a whole new category - medical bling!

Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Along these lines...I had a parent of a rec league kid question my decision about his kid's newly pierced ear. When I told him that earrings/jewelry were not allowed he wanted to know why...I told him safety of the player and the only exceptions in the rule book for any such item were for medical or religious medals. He tells me they are for religious reasons and they were taped...

I told him that I would not allow his son to participate with earrings in, he immediately asked me if I was questioning his religious belief and if I was, this was a road I didn't want to travel....

Being on the board, I did not want to stir the pot and the following week a revision on the rule was sent to all coaches to hand down...Kid didn't have his earring in the next week or the rest of the season...
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 04:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My understanding is that earrings do not have a religious exemption, and all religious jewelry still needs to not be a safety hazard.

Safety trumps religion, IMO.

Also, I wouldn't even mention the religious thing when arguing with an ignorant parent about their kids' earrings. I'm always amazed at two things:
1. parents who allow their kids to get their ears pierced mid-season.
2. parents who honestly think an hour without the earring is going to close the damm hole.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 05:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Along these lines...I had a parent of a rec league kid question my decision about his kid's newly pierced ear. When I told him that earrings/jewelry were not allowed he wanted to know why...I told him safety of the player and the only exceptions in the rule book for any such item were for medical or religious medals. He tells me they are for religious reasons and they were taped...

I told him that I would not allow his son to participate with earrings in, he immediately asked me if I was questioning his religious belief and if I was, this was a road I didn't want to travel....

Being on the board, I did not want to stir the pot and the following week a revision on the rule was sent to all coaches to hand down...Kid didn't have his earring in the next week or the rest of the season...
If the earrings were "religious", he could have worn them taped to his body under his uniform. Other than that - uh uh.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
If the earrings were "religious", he could have worn them taped to his body under his uniform. Other than that - uh uh.
Yeah...at the time if I had the rule verbaitum in my mind I would have utilized that...I just saw a guy looking to make a HUGE ordeal and as the ref and board member for the league...I just chose to let this one ride...

You can bet your butt it won't go down like that again!
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Are you saying that you allowed the kid to play in that game with the earrings in and taped?