The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WI REF
I stand corrected on the whistle causing the ball to become dead. What I was trying to get at was that when the whistle blew, the players probably weren't going to continue any action.
If the whistle blew during the try, the ball becomes dead when the try ends.

Quote:
So if the ball missed (which it did)who would get the ball?
Whichever team is entitled to the AP throw-in.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Slider, because I felt that by blowing the whistle I would have caused the players on the lane to not play the missed shot. At that point I didn't think that by using the PA, it would have been fair to either team involved. In my opinion, I would have just re-administrated the second shot of the free throw and gone on from there. I guess that maybe I would have had to have been there and actually been apart of what really happend.
I do have a question for Doug. What was your response from your partner and/or the coaches when all this happened. Just curious.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

It was a lower level game (6th), so the coach didn't think it was right, but I don't think he really knew. My partner admitted that he was having a hard time getting into it also; we had fun, it was just hard to get into. The opposing coach said nothing, the coach shooting the throw yelled at first, but I explained to him that it was an inadvertant whistle, and that it had no effect on the outcome of the ft, because it was after the try was released, and he was fine with that. His previous game (did 2, one was 8th) went fine, and we were doing a good job of officiating. I didn't even consider the rebounding possibility... after the game, both coaches told us we did a very nice job, but I will never grant a time out without visually seeing it and thinking about it again, I am now aware of what problems it can cause.