The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

As I'm learning how to ref, some interesting situations keep coming up. I hope some of you will answer the following questions for me.

1. In one MS game, one coach comes to the pre-game meeting and coaches the first half. The second coach comes later and stands once during the first half but I tell him he has to sit down. The second half, he coaches. During a break, I ask him, what's going on? He says that he's the actual head coach but has meetings his principal requires him to be at so he can never be there at the start of the game. Is it okay for them to swap who gets to use the coach's box at halftime?

2. At the end of the quarter, can a coach come out on the court to talk to a ref?

3. Once, a coach has received a T, can he get up to applaud good plays or to talk to players during a timeout?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Some answers

Here are my solutions to your questions:

1. Technically, you can't switch. However, for a middle school game or an early afternoon frosh game where these things happen, I'm going to be understanding. I don't see any need to make waves here--expecially if the coach is coaching the kids and not me.

2. During a quarter break or TO, the head coach is allowed to talk with you--politely. I wouldn't let him come all the way on to the court. It looks and feels much better for the coach to come nearer to him if he beckons. The conversation should be brief and play should resume without delay.

3. A "seat-belted" coach (or assistant coach) may rise to "spontaneously celebrate a good play", congratulate a player leaving the game, or during a time-out.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Some answers

Quote:
Originally posted by physicsref
1. Technically, you can't switch
I don't know of any rule which makes it illegal to switch, nor can I think of a good reason for such a rule.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 03:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
As I'm learning how to ref, some interesting situations keep coming up. I hope some of you will answer the following questions for me.

1. In one MS game, one coach comes to the pre-game meeting and coaches the first half. The second coach comes later and stands once during the first half but I tell him he has to sit down. The second half, he coaches. During a break, I ask him, what's going on? He says that he's the actual head coach but has meetings his principal requires him to be at so he can never be there at the start of the game. Is it okay for them to swap who gets to use the coach's box at halftime?

2. At the end of the quarter, can a coach come out on the court to talk to a ref?

3. Once, a coach has received a T, can he get up to applaud good plays or to talk to players during a timeout?
Ready,
I agree with physicsref on 2 and 3.
I agree with Slider on 1.
You will find, as time goes on, that the more confidence you bring to the game the less the coaches will affect you.
But keep in mind that if you allow Coach A something, then you may "owe" Coach B the same.
mick
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I should rephrase the second question:

Can a coach come out on the court in anger to address a ref at the end of a quarter?

Mick, Thanks for the advice. What are referring to when you say "if you allow Coach A something, then you may "owe" Coach B the same?"

Ready
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Some answers

[/QUOTE]

I don't know of any rule which makes it illegal to switch, nor can I think of a good reason for such a rule.
[/B][/QUOTE]

In hindsight, this was addressed at one of our assoc. mtgs. regarding a slightly different situation(coach decides he wants the asst to coach for him mid game, w/out leaving). I think common sense should help a lot here. Coach A gets paged that his wife is going into labor--obviously you let him leave and the assistant gets full priviliges. I'd insist on a reason, though. When I meet the coach before a game, I expect that that is who I am dealing with for the game. If I have more than one coach, I find out who the head coach is (if I don't know). If there are other circumstances, I expect to be notified about them by someone in the know.

Regarding the second question "in anger". I think you should do what you can to diffuse the anger. Calmly talk with him near his bench, not at midcourt. Tell him you heard him, give a brief explanation. If he persists in his anger at you--tell him to stop. Don't let him keep you there after the horn to harp on the same thing over and over.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Maybe I should rephrase the second question:

Can a coach come out on the court in anger to address a ref at the end of a quarter?
Ready
Well, he certainly can if you let him! And the more you
let him the more he'll do it. Assuming he's reasonably
civil as he walks on the floor then tell the coach you'll
be happy to talk to him but only if he goes back to his bench. Don't take no (or I don't have to, or just plain why) for an answer. If you simply walk over to the bench
he's gonna look pretty foolish if he doesn't follow you
(credit Mick for that one). Then ask him to calm down. Then listen to his complaint and give him an answer. Once
he starts repeating himself you're done. Don't debate.
No "yeah-but's". If he gets out of line (you'll know where that line is) T him. If he's yelling & waving his arms & carrying on as he comes onto the foor then T him up immediately.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

physicsref

The idea that comes to my mind is can you have two coaches using the coach's box at the same time (i.e. an assistant coach and a head coach) and do you take minor flak from an assistant coach that you would take from a head coach? That's the premise I was thinking of when I wrote the question.

I appreciate the other advice that you, Mick, and Dan_ref offered.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
originally posted by Slider
Slider, the rule that governs the coaching box is 1-13 and it states: "the head coach may be off the bench in front of his/her seat within the confines of the designated coaching box. . ." (emphasis mine). There is only one head coach per team per game. If the guy at the beginning of the game says "I'm the head coach", then he gets to use the box; and technically, the guy who comes in later should not be allowed to use it. If the guy at the beginning of the game says, "I'm the assistant coach, but I'm running the team till the head coach gets here" then technically, he should not be allowed to use the coaching box.

Quote:
The idea that comes to my mind is can you have two coaches using the coach's box at the same time (i.e. an assistant coach and a head coach) and do you take minor flak from an assistant coach that you would take from a head coach?
Quite simply, no and no. One coach off the bench for the duration of the game. If the assistant is up for a quick second to yell something to the defense and then remembers and sits down, I will not do anything about that. But by rule, he's not allowed off the bench to coach.

And never ever ever ever ever ever ever take crap of any kind from an assistant. Never. One comment to me and I immediately remind the coach that only he is allowed to ask me questions. Next comment and even the head coach has to stay seated.

Chuck
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The idea that comes to my mind is can you have two coaches using the coach's box at the same time (i.e. an assistant coach and a head coach) and do you take minor flak from an assistant coach that you would take from a head coach? That's the premise I was thinking of when I wrote the question.
Absolutely not. If the asst. coach and the head coach are on the bench, then only the head coach is allowed to stand.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
If the guy at the beginning of the game says, "I'm the assistant coach, but I'm running the team till the head coach gets here" then technically, he should not be allowed to use the coaching box.

Chuck
Also, in this case, when the head coach arrived he would not be allowed to use the box because he was not standing in the box when the game began.