The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
VHSL Eligibility (New)

Well according to Virginia High School League, individuals must certify to their local association that they have never been convicted of a felony or any offense involving the sexual molestation or physical or sexual abuse or rape of a child. Of course, that isnt a problem for me, but I was wonder how they would enforce this? Any other association do this?
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 08:39am
Lighten up, Francis.

Seems pretty useless to me, unless they also mandate background checks. I mean, who is going to answer "yes"? If you haven't been in trouble, you'll answer truthfully; if you have been in trouble, you'll lie. But everybody's going to deny any misconduct.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 08:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Seems pretty useless to me, unless they also mandate background checks. I mean, who is going to answer "yes"? If you haven't been in trouble, you'll answer truthfully; if you have been in trouble, you'll lie. But everybody's going to deny any misconduct.
Come on scrapper, if they add "under penalty of perjury," I'm sure it'll make honest people out of everyone. You're such a skeptic.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Background Check

Here in NY, we must submit to a background check which includes fingerprinting, done at the officail's expense, around $100.00. We are then issued an ID card that we must present at the school we are officiating at, and in addition the ID number must be included on any voucher that we submit.

Here's the funny thing, teachers are not required to do this. And not to be funny, but since this requirement started a couple of yeras ago, there have been at least 11 teachers convicted of some sort of crimes against children just in my general area of NY, and not one official.

Go figure
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 08:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Guess who has a more powerful union.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

In IL there is also a requirement to answer whether we have been convicted of any felony before receiving our license.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Oregon requires a background check, one per year which covers all sports. It's not as thorough as the fingerprint kind, but I guess it's good enough for whoever. I don't know if they require it for coaches!
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
In IL there is also a requirement to answer whether we have been convicted of any felony before receiving our license.
Yes, but that involves a background check where this can be verified. No background check, no legal verification. And I do not think you can just throw in a "perjury" comment that is going to make that comment a legally binding statement. A background check will verify that information (not 100% though) and if there is a conviction, then the state does not have to legalize that official.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

In Ohio you have to be able to sign your name on the form.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

In Washington State we undergo Washington State Patrol background checks every two years. For years they only checked the Washington State data banks, but now check the NCIC data bank. The result of the additional scruitiny was seen in our local baseball association. A member who had a child abuse conviction in Idaho but had been "clean" in Washington was denied membership.

Teachers, including coaches who are teachers, are fingerprinted and subjected a more rigorous background check.

However, I'm not sure if coaches who are not teachers are subjected to any background check.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 01:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
In Ohio you have to be able to sign your name on the form.
If they had that prerequisite in Michigan, they'd have about 4 officials.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 01:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
If they had that prerequisite in Michigan, they'd have about 4 officials.
And 2 coaches.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 01:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Oregon requires a background check, one per year which covers all sports. It's not as thorough as the fingerprint kind, but I guess it's good enough for whoever. I don't know if they require it for coaches!
A few days ago, I got an email from an assignor for a huge competitive kids rec league. I've worked a few games for him over the years. He said that he is going to require a background check of this sort and refs will be charged $10 to cover the cost. However, he will waive the $10 if you attend two pre-season clinics. Also, anyone who is a member of a HS association that requires this kind of a check does not have to fill out one for him.

The local league I help run does not require this (mostly because we know all the refs personally) but does require one for coaches. I think that's quite appropriate.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Actually, it's one per three years.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 02:03pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
However, I'm not sure if coaches who are not teachers are subjected to any background check.
Yes they are...the same background check that teachers have to go through. It involves fingerprinting and everything...many of the Youth organizations require it also - I helped out coaching my youngest son's Clark County Youth Football team and was required to do the fingerprints and all - since I am a teacher I had already had it done and was able to waive it. I know my Church was required (I think it was by our Insurance carrier) to do the same background checks on anyone working with any kids - from the high school youth group down to the nursery workers.